Manners, please (see what I did there?)

figgis

Wotcha, all.

First off, you're a cracking bunch and we're lucky to have such a friendly, helpful and respectful community. Too helpful, friendly and respectful when it comes to keeping our moderating skills up to scratch... we've so little to do that in the mod section we have to keep banning each other and withdrawing jelly bean rations to prevent our buttons seizing up altogether. But I digress...

In the past we've asked for a show of appreciation when you receive help with a request (here and here) but we'd also ask for a show of manners at the other end of the request, in the form of a "please", er, please. The two threads referred to above both mention the fact that we aren't Facebook, and so will this one. Honestly, that place does my head in and I suspect I'm not alone in scooting past a blunt "What's this?" ID request (request? demand, morelike) and I won't reply to it even if I know what the thing is. It's getting worse over there and we really don't want to see it creeping in here, so if you would like people to dip into their knowledge and help you out, please do so courteously from the outset :thumbsup:

In case anyone thinks this is aimed at them personally, let me assure you it isn't aimed at anyone in particular - it's just that we've spotted a few odd examples of late and we're trying to catch it early in order to maintain the easygoing forum vibe you lot have made between you all.

Many thanks :Luv Ya:
shaggybfc

Hear hear.
Even with the abrupt requests, the team here still offer an ID. Maybe if this type of request was ignored, al la the rude FB requests, then our ethos message might be finally understood.
Could a note be added to the main ID page, asking people to be polite in their requests and acknowledgments of IDs?
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
fred

Well said. I'd noticed the same. :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Also noticed this fairly recently.
Well said, hope this nips it in the bud.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Metalurgy

fred wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:10 am Well said. I'd noticed the same. :thumbsup:
Ditto,and using the thumbs up (thanks) button wouldnโ€™t go amiss ๐Ÿ‘
Easylife

:thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

shaggybfc wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:04 am Hear hear.
Even with the abrupt requests, the team here still offer an ID. Maybe if this type of request was ignored, al la the rude FB requests, then our ethos message might be finally understood.
Could a note be added to the main ID page, asking people to be polite in their requests and acknowledgments of IDs?
Good points :thumbsup: We will pin this in the ID section, though suspect that it might make little difference because the inescapable fact is that in their rush to get an ID not many newcomers read any rules or guidelines pinned up. It's just one of those things and we've probably all been guilty of this at some time or another. I know I have, and blowed if I know where our own rules are! :lol: Might be down the back of the sofa, I spose. Again.

As for ignoring requests, it's up to the individual to decide how they want to deal with rude ones. We are renowned for being a friendly forum and it's not in the nature of anyone here to blank a request for help, no matter how tempting, and it would be good to maintain that. Anyone can slip up in the manners department once, and we can always have a quiet word with anyone being persistently rude :thumbsup:
Saffron

Well said Figgis. Sadly I had noticed more "What is this" posts recently with no background information and often with poor quality photos, more like frequently seen on FB.

Yesterday I spent a fair bit of time on the "Lead ear tags" thread https://www.thedetectinghub.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6702
It started with some good background, had top quality photos, and ended with an important "Many thanks".

The poster subsequently gave a "thumbs up" to several of the posts, and made a nice follow up post including "Many thanks to everyone who has given their time to this."

Sadly with a few other threads I have contributed to recently the original poster has not even responded with a "thumbs up", let alone a post saying thank you.

I am certain that I am not the only frequent poster to have noticed this. I suspect that when we have limited time we might well remember who was polite and said "thank you" and those that did not ..... no prize for guessing which our limited time might be spent responding to the next time.

Evan
figgis

Saffron wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:32 pm Sadly with a few other threads I have contributed to recently the original poster has not even responded with a "thumbs up", let alone a post saying thank you.

I am certain that I am not the only frequent poster to have noticed this.
You're not the only one, Evan. Far from it, sadly. Thing is, I think we're fighting a rearguard action here on account of the fact that the mannerless ID demands on FB are invariably answered, so it's self-perpetuating: why go to the bother of extending courtesy when a few blunt words will get you what you want? <grumpy ole git>It's a sign of the times and an indication of the strength of a sense of entitlement which pervades all aspects of life these days.</grumpy ole git>

Any road up, we're old school here and won't stop trying to maintain certain standards when it comes to dealing with other people, however much developments outside make that an increasingly rare thing. Unlike Canute, we will hold back that tide :D
DaveP

It's surprising how much a "thanks" or :thumbsup: adds to the day. It just helps to make the world go round and it really isn't asking much.
mrspatch

I'm always so surprised that it has to be mentioned.. On Facebook too.. Manners cost nothing. Glad I've taught my kids their P's and Q's.
I'm always very grateful ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™
figgis

mrspatch wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:50 pm I'm always so surprised that it has to be mentioned.
To be honest, Mrs P, the members here all contribute to making this forum a haven of decency, good manners and mutual respect. From time to time we do have people wander in and while they are of course more than welcome, we'd rather they left the Facebook Guide to Manners at the door. It's all we ask :D :thumbsup:
mrspatch

figgis wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 pm Facebook Guide to Manners
Love that phrase ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚... The joys of social media lol
Kenleyboy

It always amazes me the self entitlement that some people believe they have as a right . I recieve email enquiries mostly wanting to know how to do such and such or gather a price guide for their own products . Sadly a lot of them are lacking any manners and they get deleted . Only recently I have had three emails from one source and not one show of manners , The third email was slightly more irritated and baffled by my lack of a reply . I am still waiting for the magic word and until the penny drops the delete button will be an ongoing response .
A simple thankyou and acknowledgement goes a long way so good to see the mods nipping this in the bud :thumbsup:
figgis

Bump required. :thumbsup: