Comedy mask brooch?

natgutt

Hi all,
Got pretty excited when I found this one but no idea what it is.
Any ideas?

Has silver inlay on the helmet and eyes.
Is about 20mm across.

Tah in advance.

N
rsz_20220622_231028.jpg
fred

Other side please. :thumbsup:
natgutt

rsz_20220622_233338.jpg
Sorry! 🙂
fred

Cheers. a very interesting find.

I can't find any direct parallels of either Tragedy or Comedy. The lack of remains of a brooch clasp or fixing studs doesn't help with working out what it is either. I suspect that without signs of these, or a break, the temptation is to call it a mount, which is a bit vague.

With silver inlay I am assuming that it is bronze and the use of silver inlay is a very Roman technique. The problem is always going to be that it has been a popular image ever since the Ancient Greeks and has been much reproduced over the years, from the Romans all the way through to now. It is the sort of thing that might have graced neoClassical furniture or have been bought back from a grand tour in the 18thC.

A lot will depend upon how it looks and feels in the flesh so all that I can suggest is that you run it past the FLO. :thumbsup:
natgutt

fred wrote: ↑Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:45 am Cheers. a very interesting find.

I can't find any direct parallels of either Tragedy or Comedy. The lack of remains of a brooch clasp or fixing studs doesn't help with working out what it is either. I suspect that without signs of these, or a break, the temptation is to call it a mount, which is a bit vague.

With silver inlay I am assuming that it is bronze and the use of silver inlay is a very Roman technique. The problem is always going to be that it has been a popular image ever since the Ancient Greeks and has been much reproduced over the years, from the Romans all the way through to now. It is the sort of thing that might have graced neoClassical furniture or have been bought back from a grand tour in the 18thC.

A lot will depend upon how it looks and feels in the flesh so all that I can suggest is that you run it past the FLO. :thumbsup:
Thanks.
Yep the weight and chunkiness of def make me think it is bronze and even with the silver inlay feels very crudely made, so feels old to me.
I am seeing the FLO tomorrow and will keep you updated :thumbsup:

N
Dave The Slave

Interesting find, any Churches very close by ?
Similar to this,
viewtopic.php?p=38832&hilit=grotesque#p38832
Interesting to see what your FLO makes of it.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave
Oxgirl

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it is Roman. On the thread of the previous similar find that Dave linked you to above you’ll see a link to a Roman head that is of the same family of finds.

Look forward to hearing what the FLO thinks :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

It looks to be based on Asian origin.
Good things come to those who wait.
natgutt

Thanks All,
The FLO wasn't 100% sure either but said thought there was a good chance it was Roman especially as I have found roman coins nearby.
He has taken it to do further research.

N