Nasty looking piece of work

Metalurgy

Hello,
Could anyone please identify this evil looking brute please?
C061D55C-89AA-41A4-8710-C5DDC51670F8.jpeg
82570F65-3A62-458F-8344-B878FB599DBC.jpeg
figgis

Trajan sestertius.

I think he looks like quite a nice boy, meself :lol:
Metalurgy

I’m not a fan of the Romans and don’t buy into the “whatever did they do for us” malarkey.
An archaeologist once told me that he thought they were worse than the nazis.
Thanks for your id👍
figgis

Different times, different attitudes, different values. So his comparison with the nazis isn't really valid as I don't see how you can compare cultures/doctrines 1500+ years apart ;)
Allectus

"An archaeologist once told me that he thought they were worse than the nazis"

=================================================================

Clowns the lot of em! :lol: :lol:
Metalurgy

figgis wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:26 am Different times, different attitudes, different values. So his comparison with the nazis isn't really valid as I don't see how you can compare cultures/doctrines 1500+ years apart ;)
I think it was said tongue in cheek, however as well as the positives they plundered,pillaged and endslaved and generally used the uk agriculture to feed their armies.
Apart from that,what did the Romans ever do for us :lol:
Dave The Slave

Metalurgy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:42 pm
figgis wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:26 am Different times, different attitudes, different values. So his comparison with the nazis isn't really valid as I don't see how you can compare cultures/doctrines 1500+ years apart ;)
I think it was said tongue in cheek, however as well as the positives they plundered,pillaged and endslaved and generally used the uk agriculture to feed their armies.
Well for us Detectorists, lots of coins, Brooches, metallic artefacts, not to mention pottery etc.
For me a Denarius beats a Hammered any day of the week.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Metalurgy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:42 pm
Much though I dislike their coins and am not that bothered about the rest of the stuff they left behind I think they did quite a lot really. They brought a bit of law, order and civility….and toilets. In my view the sewage systems alone put them into the genius bracket. And they introduced the idea of hygiene to the stinky natives who had probably never seen a bath before. Plus they introduced chicken and rabbits and, most importantly, wine! And lets not forget roads and great civil projects.
But they did impose latin on us which is pretty bad :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Metalurgy

The Celts were doing well before the invasion,good agriculture,some of the best art on the planet and importing wine which they enjoyed with gusto.
The Romans may have improved the roads but they were mostly existing ancient ridgeways.There was a well developed network of roads before any Roman set foot on Britain.
The Romans also imposed taxes and enslaved as many Brits as they could get hold of while taking as much as they could for the empire.
Does any of this sound familiar? :lol:
Oxgirl

Metalurgy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:07 pm The Celts were doing well before the invasion,good agriculture,some of the best art on the planet and importing wine which they enjoyed with gusto.
The Romans may have improved the roads but they were mostly existing ancient ridgeways.There was a well developed network of roads before any Roman set foot on Britain.
The Romans also imposed taxes and enslaved as many Brits as they could get hold of while taking as much as they could for the empire.
Does any of this sound familiar? :lol:
I’ll give you the rest but I’m going to argue on the wine drinking bit - there is no archeological evidence of wine drinking in the UK before the Romans invaded :Luv Ya:
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:31 pm there is no archeological evidence of wine drinking in the UK before the Romans invaded :Luv Ya:
What about gin? :D
Metalurgy

No locking of horns here,(obviously the drinking type),there’s plenty of evidence to suggest our ancestors were drinking wine before the Romans arrived,including vessels found amongst grave goods,I think it was something I read by Francis Pryor and also lots of other reports elsewhere.
I’m really not making this up to prove a point.
And gin is British isn’t it?
Pete E

Metalurgy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:52 pm No locking of horns here,(obviously the drinking type),there’s plenty of evidence to suggest our ancestors were drinking wine before the Romans arrived,including vessels found amongst grave goods,I think it was something I read by Francis Pryor and also lots of other reports elsewhere.
I’m really not making this up to prove a point.
And gin is British isn’t it?
Could be beer or mead they were drinking rather than wine?

That said given how wide spread trade was with Europe even in the Bronze Age, i wouldn't discount some form of wine drinking going on...
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:39 pm
Oxgirl wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:31 pm there is no archeological evidence of wine drinking in the UK before the Romans invaded :Luv Ya:
What about gin? :D
It is believed to have originated in Italy in the first century although the modern spirit we know is Dutch, starting from the 16th century.
Oxgirl

Adding to the British contribution to the gin drinking history - it is tonic that we created and popularised to help against the scourge of malaria. A 19th century British Army invention in India during the 19th century :Party: