Interpreting an old map

HammeredDeus

Looking at an old map (c 1650) today, showing several fields in Sussex. Each field had two acreage measurements, each in Acres, Rods and Perches. The first was labelled W and the second (always a bit smaller) was labelled A. I'd be delighted if anyone can enlighten me what the two letters mean, maybe 'W'oodland size vs 'A'rable sizes, to take account of hedges etc or some other thing?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Can you share any pics? You can always block out or crop anything that gives the location away :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

W = well, water, wood?
Is it a Tithe map? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
fred

As far as I am aware that early there were no binding conventions about what was recorded and how it was written down and it usually depended upon what the maps were for. If they were made to formalise landholdings the letters could refer to type of land, the field name, owners, perhaps or whatever, perhaps by referring to an index, now lost. Did the other fields have similar labels? :D
HammeredDeus

I'm afraid I only saw it briefly on someone else's device. All the fields had the same type of annotation.

I think this was quite some time before the tithe maps - which, round here at least, tended to understate the size of each field (for understandable reasons!).