Welcome to all our new members

Oxgirl

We’ve had a massive influx of new members in the last couple of months, especially since Christmas. It’s great to see but it has meant you haven’t all been welcomed as we would normally, apologies for that. With the amount of new posts I think we’re all a bit exhausted too! Not that we are complaining, it is just an explanation as to why you might not have had much response as you might normally have had.

There are a few pointers below which you will find useful. We look forward to following you on your detecting adventures and hope you’ll jump in and get involved.

Consider a small introduction. It’s really lovely to get new members and we love to know more about you. If you haven’t already an introductory post is a great way to start. It helps us to know where you are based and helps us to gauge how much help you might need on things like treasure law, etc. Obviously this doesn’t need to be more than a few lines. It isn’t compulsory either!

Starting a new post is easy. Well it is when you know how :D . There’s a guide here.

Getting a successful ID. On asking for an ID we don’t have strict rules on numbers of photos or scale, etc. If you want to give your item the best chance of getting a firm ID it really does help though. Clear photos, an idea of size (a ruler or something like a modern coin for scale in a photo, or written dimensions) and what material it is made from. We don’t restrict the number of photos you can post so feel free to add some of different angles. Just use a reply to your topic if you need to post more.

In return for the time taken to help you, our expert’s just ask for a ‘thank you’ in return.

Don’t just ask for IDs. We love to hear stories about your detecting day too. Feel free to post a story and tell us how your detecting day has been or how all about your special find. We love a good debate too, whether that’s about the best spade/ wellies or pin pointer, or about how to grid a field. Really about anything - even what food is best to offer to the field gods to improve your chances of getting more finds :lol: If it works we’ll be eternally grateful!

Please feel free to offer your own views on other people’s finds too. And if you have no clue then instead you can tell them if you think an item is special, or just say ‘well done’. It’s so nice to get a response to a great find and very disappointing when you don’t.

There are some brilliant resources on the forum. If you want to research your own finds we probably have the most comprehensive and well organised list of online resources available in the UK. It has taken hundreds and hundreds of hours to put it together so it should be good! We are always adding new links so it really is worth checking in on regularly. You can find it here.

So welcome to all our new members and thank you to our regulars who have been working overtime responding to posts. We really appreciate it. Get involved and honestly you’ll be embraced with open arms and soon find you are part of the hub family.

Good luck on the detecting front if you are out this week and look forward to hearing how you got on :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

👍, always good to have new members.
I’ve noticed when I’ve given my opinion on IDs recently ( not that I’m an expert 😄) , that what I’ve circled below is sadly lacking on occasion. Needless to say I’ve made a mental note and won’t be giving my non expert opinion next time!
Attachments
IMG_3055.jpeg
figgis

Stick with it, Matt :thumbsup:

We don't have many rules here but manners is a must, and something we do try to keep an eye on. This forum is not the place for instant gratification on an ill-mannered request as per faceache et al, but we do find that people who might start off this way soon learn the courtesies (pun intended) by way of the behaviour of other members. If they don't they get a gentle reminder ;)
Mancaveman

Don't worry about it. The world is full of ignoramus's who can't be bothered to say "thank you". It's just the way some folk are!
1findatatime

Thankyou for the good advise, was put on to this wonderfull hub by Holzhammer on youtube. only had one post for I.D. but not had any luck yet, but its a tricky one. Hope to put on more finds soon. :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

1findatatime wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:29 pm Thankyou for the good advise, was put on to this wonderfull hub by Holzhammer on youtube. only had one post for I.D. but not had any luck yet, but its a tricky one. Hope to put on more finds soon. :thumbsup:
Sometimes we can’t help. Don’t let it put you off though - go find some hammered silver, a buckle or a crotal bell and we promise to crack the next one :D
Metalurgy

mattjb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 am 👍, always good to have new members.
I’ve noticed when I’ve given my opinion on IDs recently ( not that I’m an expert 😄) , that what I’ve circled below is sadly lacking on occasion. Needless to say I’ve made a mental note and won’t be giving my non expert opinion next time!
Similarly,I tend to avoid those who have a low 👍 count and don’t bother acknowledging a helpful reply.
Oxgirl

Ladies and gents can we show our friendly, welcoming side not the one you show your bank manager.

Needless to say doing an ID and getting no thanks it’s rather annoying and it brings out the grumpy side of most of us (see above for proof!) I think the message has been delivered :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

mattjb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 am 👍, always good to have new members.
Matt, don’t let being rubbish at ID’ing finds put you off….. it’s never stopped me 🤣🤣👍🏼
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.