An Easy D2 review.

Easylife

I thought I would do another D2 review as I feel that it is an even better machine from a few updates ago. I now exclusively use audio only with the 13" coil on V2.0 mostly on pasture. I have the remote on my belt for just the occasional reference and ease of any setting adjustments. I compared various programs and audio types over several faint targets but found that my usual DHC max 24Khz using 2 Tone High Square was the best all-rounder in my experience. Audio Response 4, Silencer 1, Bottlecap 3. Disc 0, controlled by tone breaks. I use 4 or 5 Tones but the audio is set up as if 2 Tones for a single non-ferrous tone. Iron set at 100Hz and non-ferrous 883Hz to give an unmissable ping on targets. I find that 2 Tones gives a clearer more consolidated positive response on the real deep iffy targets compared to Full tones. I do a frequency scan whenever things get a little chattery, and normally GB too. But last time out I decided not to GB at all and the D2 was completely stable, more than usual when I do GB, but guess that could have just been where I was? :Thinking:
I normally use Reactivity 1.5 or 2, though will go lower on clean ground. On some old pasture most targets were 9" - 12" deep and the D2 was very stable at Reactivity 0, Sensitivity 97. On a quiet part of my main pasture I was using Reactivity 0, Sensitivity 99 and the D2 was running absolutely silent, though moving off that area I increased Reactivity to 1 as there was some very slight EMI. Even passing under a low powerline it was barely noticeable. I really enjoy how quiet the D2 runs compared to my previous modern detectors. The very faint targets are easy to hear and with a slightly slower swing I was finding many more deep targets on my areas of seemingly detected out ground than with other detectors - so plenty more to go over again. But even if you swing a bit too fast the D2 will usually still give a knowing chirp on the deep targets just to get your attention to take a step back and investigate. Certain targets were at quite an impressive depth for their size, not a small but a tiny button came from 9" deep using Reactivity 1, though it was still not as quiet as some targets. Thin foil gives a very distinctive fuzzy response as does some small lead alloy and some irregular shapes. As I mostly search pasture depth is mainly key than seperation but I feel that modern detectors still seperate pretty good even with big coils, but I have the 9" coil for any real thick iron patches if needed. Iron can often give some false added positive response, or be non-ferrous next to iron, though is a subtle yet quite clear enough language once learnt. Even the usual iron holed foolers just do not fool anymore, though the occasional piece of flat iron plate has. It is rare that I dig any iron, though sometimes knowingly do out of interest, or when really pushing my luck with the some pretty extreme just one way barely repeatable faint targets that I am not completely sure are even there - though most turn out to be just very deep non-ferrous. It's really quite fun testing the limits! :D
The D2 13" coil is heavier than stock but without the remote on board it compensates and is light and easy swinging all day long. Just my own experience, the D2 personally suits me very well. I guess that the Manti could be fun to compare but I just don't need to be screen watching with the D2 at all. Simples works just fine! :D :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Bronze age Dave

You have sussed out some great settings for your pasture permissions , likewise I too am audio only. I have only had the D2 for a bit and haven't adjusted any settings as yet.
I have been fooled too with big flat circular iron washers.
It is a machine to be used all day,
Some good advice there Easy :thumbsup:
HammeredDeus

Very interesting to read your thoughts, and my experience is similar.

The main reason I still use the RC is to use the XY screen, which I find helps me dig less trash. I use full tones with an offset of 10 which gives better clarity at the low TID end of the spectrum.
Dan Fox

Nice write up.
Interesting you opt for zero disc and tone breaks. I have found the D2 works better with a higher disc setting, opposite to the D1.
XP say that disc does not affect power, it’s more of a threshold rather than the traditional disc on older detectors.

My 13” coil arrived this week so hopefully try it out soon.
Easylife

HammeredDeus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 am The main reason I still use the RC is to use the XY screen, which I find helps me dig less trash. I use full tones with an offset of 10 which gives better clarity at the low TID end of the spectrum.
By trash do you mean foil and irregular shaped items?
I was using full tones with an offset of about 20 when I compared it.
Metalurgy

I’ve been using the magnet program but on 14khz ,reactivity 1 - 2 on both pasture and arable.
It eats the coil power but it works for me.
Once I get going the RC goes in my pocket 👍
Easylife

Dan Fox wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:12 pm Interesting you opt for zero disc and tone breaks. I have found the D2 works better with a higher disc setting, opposite to the D1.
XP say that disc does not affect power, it’s more of a threshold rather than the traditional disc on older detectors.

My 13” coil arrived this week so hopefully try it out soon.
I was using a higher Disc but when I compared a faint target at Disc 0 it gave a stronger and louder response. Also I am just trying out with ID 1 sounding non-ferrous as it is supposed to help unmasking, just one outing since but no ID 1 targets yet. :D
I feel that Disc is just audio discrimination though there could be some anomalies? :Thinking:
The 13" coil goes a bit deeper and you miss less ground, but it can be run hard whilst very stable. :thumbsup:
HammeredDeus

Metalurgy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:34 pm I’ve been using the magnet program but on 14khz ,reactivity 1 - 2 on both pasture and arable.
It eats the coil power but it works for me.
Once I get going the RC goes in my pocket 👍
I thought you'd gone over to the dark side? Or maybe you use both Manti and D2?
HammeredDeus

Easylife wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm By trash do you mean foil and irregular shaped items?
I was using full tones with an offset of about 20 when I compared it.
Yes, and some ferrous - as I use bcaps=0 and silencer=1 as well as pretty low disc usually.
Metalurgy

HammeredDeus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:33 pm I thought you'd gone over to the dark side? Or maybe you use both Manti and D2?
I’ve been using Thora,aka the French farting stick on and off for some time now.We did have a trial separation but after counselling we decided to get back together albeit intermittently.
Also using the Manticore feels like a ménage a trois :lol:
Using it @ 14khz doesn’t diminish its sensitivity,(in my opinion) and feels punchier,especially on pasture.
HammeredDeus

Metalurgy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:45 am I’ve been using Thora,aka the French farting stick on and off for some time now.We did have a trial separation but after counselling we decided to get back together albeit intermittently.
Also using the Manticore feels like a ménage a trois :lol:
Using it @ 14khz doesn’t diminish its sensitivity,(in my opinion) and feels punchier,especially on pasture.
La canne à péter - hahaha :D :clapping: