Frustrations!

LeeP

I'm not one for new years resolutions but I really must get a permission this year, the sooner the better.

So, I did a bit of research and settled on an area I know, went for a reccie today on our dog walk prior to calling on the farmer tomorrow and there they were, two detectorists on my prospective permission!

I do sincerely hope it was productive for them but the situation really did p*ss me off for a while
clint

All you can do is ask and if unsuccessful, move on. Just be polite,genuine,don't call at meal times, don't wear your best camo and don't take the dog. Take ladies or children if you need company.
It'll happen.
alloverover

Why did it p*ss you off ?
Your prospective permission would seem to be their actual permission.........they would of had more right to be upset if you had turned up on there........unless I am missing something here ?
HammeredDeus

alloverover wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 pm ........unless I am missing something here ?
Perhaps they resemble a pair of 1960's folk/pop musicians? :D :roll:
alloverover

Just noticed the OP is from Colchester. I had a long standing permission about 5 miles outside of Colchester that I used a lot and was friends with the farmer for many years, I turned up there one day and there were 4 guys detecting one of the fields, saw the farmers wife and she, a bit sheepishly said ' ah, things have changed a bit,,,,,these guys have offered money to detect so I am afraid that, you,,,,,, cant'.

That made me feel a little miffed to say the least.
Easylife

It is the owners land so their say on how it is and we just have to respect that. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
LeeP

alloverover wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 pm Why did it p*ss you off ?
Your prospective permission would seem to be their actual permission.........they would of had more right to be upset if you had turned up on there........unless I am missing something here ?
Probably because when you come so close so many times in an area where it is hard to get a permission you begin to get a bit despondent.

Never said they didn't have the right, I did however say that I do sincerely hope it was productive for them.
Just frustrating
Saffron

Easylife wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:40 pm It is the owners land so their say on how it is and we just have to respect that. :thumbsup:
That is something that we all have to remember.

Detecting on their fields is just a hobby to use. But those same fields are their living.

Obviously being turned down when we ask if we can detect is frustrating, but you can understand why.

I am lucky and my landowners are happy to let me detect and do not expect any thing, although they all get a bottle at Christmas. But as mainly equine I would fully understand why they would not want to take the risk of somebody digging holes in their fields!.

Likewise I would be gutted if told "Sorry, we have a big group offer us £1,000 to detect here so we can not let you come any more", but money like that for a small farmer who is struggling would make a significant difference at the end of the year.

Evan
LeeP

clint wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:59 pm All you can do is ask and if unsuccessful, move on. Just be polite,genuine,don't call at meal times, don't wear your best camo and don't take the dog. Take ladies or children if you need company.
It'll happen.
You have mentioned some very good common sense points, most of my free time falls at the weekend do people think calling upon farmer on a Saturday would be a poor idea?
Thanks
clint

Given most work most days you've got an equal chance of seeing someone. If that's the only time you have free you've not a lot of choice but pick your times.
Graham

Most farmers work 7 days a week especially if they have animals on the farm. Saturdays are as good a day as any other week day, i try to avoid Sundays. Call mid morning or early afternoon, as first thing in the morning and just before tea time is usually feeding up times. We are in the main shooting season now, until end of January so i would wait till after the season ends, if he is a keen shooting man. Also try to keep clear of dry days in the main harvest period if it's a big arable farm or if it's mainly sheep then lambing time is stressful for farmers . Sorry it sounds complicated but just trying to give you the best chance.
All you can do is be polite and ask, good luck. :thumbsup:
Artybarty

alloverover wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:20 pm Just noticed the OP is from Colchester. I had a long standing permission about 5 miles outside of Colchester that I used a lot and was friends with the farmer for many years, I turned up there one day and there were 4 guys detecting one of the fields, saw the farmers wife and she, a bit sheepishly said ' ah, things have changed a bit,,,,,these guys have offered money to detect so I am afraid that, you,,,,,, cant'.

That made me feel a little miffed to say the least.
Maybe take comfort that you had the best of the finds from there before they turned up?
Doubling the worm population with every slice…

Nokta Legend aka “Hawkwind”