Dropped the pinpointer which fixed it.

keyfits

Following a couple of months break due to the torrential rain, more rain and hence floods. There was finally a break in the weather so I prepaired all my gear for a detecting session including giving the the coil, control unit, headphones and pinpointer batteries a top up charge. I then checked everything was working before venturing out on the fields but noticed the my pinpointer (Garrett AT Pro) was falsing when I held the pinpointer upright, i.e. tip upwards, wasn't doing this the last time out.
I have had the pinpointer for about 3 years and it has never done this before so thought that it was finally started to show its age and start falsing even though it still works perfectly with the tip down or even when horizontal.
Anyway, after finishing my detecting session I cleaned everything as usual before storing it away but whilst in the midst of doing this I dropped the pinpointer on to the floor, never dropped it before, then I was thinking I might have broken it altogether so turned it on to check and found that not only was it still working but it no longer falses when holding it upright.
I can only assume that there is a bad connection somewhere and the jolt from dropping it has made the connection again (in the short term anyway?)
Has anybody else had a similar fault with a pinpointer falsing in the upright position and actually found the fault and repaired it (but not by dropping it?) Just in case it starts falsing again.
figgis

I hit my MI-6 with a hammer (ball pein) once, but I doubt that'll be of any assistance to you. Sorry :lol:
keyfits

figgis wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:55 pm I hit my MI-6 with a hammer (ball pein) once, but I doubt that'll be of any assistance to you. Sorry :lol:
Yes your right no assistance but you may be able to set up a business just in time for Cristmas and call it "Get Smashed" :lol:
HammeredDeus

I've no idea, but I think that many pinpointer designs have a ferrite rod with a coil of enamelled wire on a paper/plastic sleeve (very like the old ferrite rod antenna in an analogue radio). I think that this assembly is probably quite vulnerable to shock - the ferrite rod is brittle and the coil could slide up and down it, changing the tuning slightly.

If my guess is right, perhaps you had dislodged this little coil and then dropping it bumped the coil back into its original position.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/artic ... torial.php
keyfits

HammeredDeus wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:39 pm If my guess is right, perhaps you had dislodged this little coil and then dropping it bumped the coil back into its original position.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/artic ... torial.php
Thats a possibility, great suggestion - Thanks.
Easylife

keyfits wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:19 pm Has anybody else had a similar fault with a pinpointer falsing in the upright position.
Yes, a brand new carrot did that. Other than that it seemed to work okay at first, but after a few months it just started randomly sounding off and was pretty unusable. It was replaced under warranty and that one was really good. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
HammeredDeus

I guess another thing that can happen is a small piece of broken ferrite or a tiny blob of solder or something randomly rattles about inside?
keyfits

HammeredDeus wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:57 pm I guess another thing that can happen is a small piece of broken ferrite or a tiny blob of solder or something randomly rattles about inside?
Actually I can hear something small rattling inside so that could be as you suggested. Good shout :thumbsup:
keyfits

Easylife wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:54 pm Yes, a brand new carrot did that. Other than that it seemed to work okay at first, but after a few months it just started randomly sounding off and was pretty unusable. It was replaced under warranty and that one was really good. :D
Unfortuately mine is out of warranty but I think HammeredDeus has come up with a probable cause.
Easylife

keyfits wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:18 pm Unfortuately mine is out of warranty but I think HammeredDeus has come up with a probable cause.
And solution if need be. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.