Treasure experience

Oxgirl

Mancaveman wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:52 pm But how long did it all take from start to being viewed or the treasure item returned? :?:
I have treasure items I handed in over 3 years ago and that were then returned over a year ago as disclaimed and the record is still not visible. I’ve found that a few times :roll:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
jcmaloney

Treasure records are often not publicly viewable until all the paperwork, including from the landowner, is complete.

Although the application of that process seems a bit random!

And there in is the root cause of much dissatisfaction with the process - inconsistency.
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
TheFenTiger

I haven't had any new records published since December 2021 let alone the 5 treasure items I am waiting for dating back to 2021. I have had 3 disclaim letters, one mid 2022 and the other 2 arrived a week after I had chased the FLO on 17th January.

Ring below was found on the 16th January 2022, handed in 28th January. Letter from the corner arrived around March from memory. Chased for an update 11th January 2023 and was told same day that it was to be disclaimed but not had a email yet formally disclaiming it.
20220117_193355.jpg
Dave
Oxgirl

jcmaloney wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:45 am Completed survey to give some balance. :D

Our Club "average" from notification to resolution is roughly 8 months.

Provide all the required info alongside photographs, weight etc send it all electronically to relevant parties. FLO, Coroner, Landowner,Finder.

Easy to track, easy to refer too and smooth as hot butter.

This may change over the next 12 months as our FLO is on Mat leave and there isn`t any cover except "refer to nearest neighbouring County".

That creates logistical issues with handing over Treasure Cases but we will work with the system.

Broadly speaking the Club often fund the "finders fee", and the landowner waives his 50% so that certainly speeds things up as they end up as donations.
You are lucky. I’ve had one done in less than 3 months and one more under 12 months, 1 at 18 months and 4 over 2 years (one of those at 3 plus years). All but the 3 year one has been/ is in the process of being disclaimed. I’m at a loss to understand how most have taken as long as they have. I have one at 25 months that had no museum interest but has still not been disclaimed. They blame the coroner but the coroner hasn’t actually had the letter asking them to disclaim it when I last chased a few weeks ago. Yet they did one last year in under 3 months. It doesn’t make sense :thumbdown:
TheFenTiger

Cambridgeshire did have a problem with coroners at one point that they considered treasure as a real low priority. They even got a coroner out of retirement to help clear the backlog. It was one of those situations where if you just made the window you would get your case done quickly otherwise it was months before anything happened as they waited until they had enough cases. Just a tick box exercise most of the time and something the local rag sent the junior reporters on to learn the ropes. Still I made front page so can't complain.
Dave
jcmaloney

It might help that I have daily contact with our local coroners as part of the day job.

I can pick up the phone and say "Sorry to ring, but its not about dead people............" :D
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
Boots

I heard a while back that from this July the process should be quicker, not certain if there's any fact to that but my first case has been quick so far.
Found on 28th September. Handed in to FLO on 2nd October. Coroners inquest on 23rd November (declared treasure). This brings me up to date, held by the British museum and awaiting valuation.
Oxgirl

Boots wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:49 pm I heard a while back that from this July the process should be quicker, not certain if there's any fact to that but my first case has been quick so far.
Found on 28th September. Handed in to FLO on 2nd October. Coroners inquest on 23rd November (declared treasure). This brings me up to date, held by the British museum and awaiting valuation.
Blooming heck that’s fast! Thanks for the info.