Forum issues: updated missing posts

Oxgirl

DaveP wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:38 pm
But the "censorship" comment was meant as a joke and had no intent.
For those of you new to forums the idea of censoring topics might seem an insignificant thing or not see a problem about it being a thing to joke about. To anyone who has been around forums for a while they will understand why this is NOT a joking matter.

This is particularly true for John, Bruce and I as one of the guiding principals of The Detecting Hub is that this is a free speech forum where we allow our members to debate and discuss topics free from interference.

Obviously slanderous or illegal comments, spam and serious bad language or abuse towards someone else will see us intervene. So far, in the last 2 years, we’ve only been forced to do this twice and both times it wasn’t a big deal with the members involved being fully understanding of the changes we made. Both members are still here and active too so we know we caused no offence. Whilst this doesn’t mean we are a soft touch (I can assure you we most certainly aren’t) it reflects the way in which you, our members, have treated the freedom we have happily given you. You don’t abuse our trust, which is what we were hoping for when we set this place up. In fact we were only saying to each other last week how lovely it is that we basically don’t have to moderate the forum content at all.

I needed to say all that because if you knew our history on another forum you would know that it is a sensitive topic for us. As moderators you must act within the rules the forum owner sets, even if you don’t agree with them. In the case of the hub we are joint owners we set our own rules and so the forum reflects our personal values. We are passionate about these values and anyone insinuating we don’t completely adhere to them is not just questioning the forum’s management style it is also questioning us, as individuals. So at all times anyone questioning these values will get a robust response with the humour button switched off and we will not apologise for that.

We’ll reset the teams humour button this evening and normal service will be resumed :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Glad the forum is back up and running, well done to all concerned......I always get a little worried when I just keep getting the old Fatal Error message come up when trying to find something,,,,,or someone :thumbsup:
Littleboot

I remember how this forum started, and why, with great clarity. I am extremely grateful to have a detecting home which allows free opinions without cancelling and censoring. (I was subject to both elsewhere.)
Free speech is important, especially in the prevailing atmosphere outside places like this.It needs cherishing and appreciating.
It has clearly been a bit of a stressful episode for the team over the last few days. I feel free speech also means that sometimes things get said which we don't like. Sometimes humour misses the mark and sometimes things get lost in translation. It is important that we have robust discussions and we defend our position with clarity. If we want free speech we have to be prepared for what comes back into our court.
A prime example of the benefits of this approach is illustrated in this thread: Cath has been able to clearly state some context as to why the Hub is what it is. Some members, especially newer ones, will not be aware of it.
Now lets all have a cuppa, a hobnob and smooth out the ruffled feathers. Life is too darned short.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Oxgirl

*looks at John’s horrified face and quickly adds a bottle of gin next to the hob nobs*

Humour has been restored :Luv Ya:
Sparrowlegs

I’m new I thought you lobbed me out lol 😂
Oxgirl

Sparrowlegs wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:54 pm I’m new I thought you lobbed me out lol 😂
Once you are in you can’t escape ;) :lol:
Sparrowlegs

nice one, love the humour, deffo my cup of tea, ive just sprayed my computer in tea reading your reply :D :thumbsup:
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:46 pm *looks at John’s horrified face and quickly adds a bottle of gin next to the hob nobs*
No, I'm quite happy to have a cuppa provided, of course, that it's a cuppa gin. You can keep the hob nobs, though, thanks all the same. Make an awful mess of the Gordons when dunking :thumbdown:
Kenleyboy

To have a forum where the "free speech police" are too over dramatic will lose you members as we can see why there is a growing membership on this forum and long may it continue . This is how a forum should run , trust your members from the very beginning and the respect from both sides will be mutual . If the other "Place" had continued to thrive before it got all PC then the Hub would not exist so out of the bad comes some good . :thumbsup:
Cant be doing with all that political correct nonsense where an innocent word is taken out of context or any member with an opinion has their wrist slapped just for speaking the truth . The hub ticks along nicely in a relaxed manner , just how it should be :thumbsup: