New permission without even asking!

TheFenTiger

Last weekend was the farms annual barbecue when one of the 2 landowners lets his hair down before harvest. Fortunately no one went to hospital this year! His dad, one of the original landowners, had invited one of his school friends over who lives a mile or so away. I had done some A3 prints of the land taken in the 1940s of the airfield and was explaining them to various people including the friend who remembered going to see the aircraft as a boy. I also showed him some finds on my phone and the cut half I had found that morning and he said he had a detectorist on his land before who had found a few things including a coin like mine. A little while later he came over and said I was welcome to have a wander over his land if I wanted in a way only Suffolk farmers can!

Turns out it is 70 acres, 25 of which has elephant grass growing on it which is cut early in the year and bailed around March. It is a self growing crop similar to bamboo so not sure what it will be like to detect but no harm in trying. It will end up like pasture I guess as it is not cultivated but a new permission is a new permission.
Dave
Dave The Slave

Good result.
No idea on Elephant grass, sound like the stuff they were escaping through on a couple of the Jurassic Park films, good job it`s been cut.
Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Well done, it's always nice to try somewhere new. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
figgis

Well, you know how canny farmers can be, and your talking about the history of the place was done with no ulterior motive and with genuine interest, and he will have sensed you're a decent chap so knew he could trust you on his land.

Hope it proves productive for you :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Best type of permission is one where they ask you. Very well done sir :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
fred

I was chatting to somebody yesterday evening and he casually mentioned that I was welcome to detect in the garden of his 15thC house and in a field that he owns a few miles away. Result. :thumbsup:

All that we need now is lots of rain. :D
Metalurgy

fred wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:09 am I was chatting to somebody yesterday evening and he casually mentioned that I was welcome to detect in the garden of his 15thC house and in a field that he owns a few miles away. Result. :thumbsup:

All that we need now is lots of rain. :D
And also the resulting finds :lol:
DaveP

I was keen to get onto some local pasture but didn't know who owned it, But I was also doing some WWII research on some neighbouring land.
I asked a lady poo picking in another field if she knew who owned the land and if anyone was good on the local history. "oh, that's owned by XXXX, he lives at XXXX farm but beware, he'll know everything but he likes to talk". No problem with that and off I trotted.
Pulled up on his drive and said "are you XXXX as I understand you know all the local history? And I'm the chap who blew up Mrs. X's field just up the hill".
"We heard all the explosions - what was the real story?" he said. We got chatting, shared names of local people we both new (past and present) and then he said, "why don't you put your machine over my land". After a hearty "thankyou" (correct sp ) I said "I normally text on and off anyone's land". "Oh, don't bother with that and if you get any trouble just say X says it's OK".
What more could I ask.

And to link to Paul's post about not getting permissions. I know he rents a field and it's a bit out of the way. I called in to see him to say there was a stand of ragwort high on a hill about to come in to flower. "Oh thank you, I'll be up there tomorrow to sort it out. Really good you let me know as the person renting it wouldn't have done anything". I would have mentioned it anyway but he knows I'm looking out for his land. It's just what you do. And removal of about 6' of scaffolding pole just under the grass which would have made a real mess of his topper. Again, he appreciates the concern.

He also owns about an acre site of a long burnt out house which I'm told dates back several centuries and wants to show me where it is. And today he's said he'll put in a word for me on another farm and big house where they are trying to do a full history - fingers crossed.

My main aim of the contact was to get more WWII information and blowing up the neighbour's land is a novel intro. But I'd also hoped to detect his land. It was a real bonus when he offered it to me.

The only problem now is the signals are few and far between and it's rock hard - it will have to wait.
Oxgirl

Wow DaveP that’s a result :Party:

See finding bombs can even have benefits too :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking