Holey core

DaveP

I needed to get out for some air this morning after more trouble with my absentee builder. So off to the maize crop which I can field walk even though it's out of bounds for detecting.
This (probably) Mesolithic core turned up. It just shows they didn't only use perfect flint nodules to make cores - this one for making bladelets - and adapted what they had available to making the tools they needed.
Core1.jpg
Core 2.jpg
Core 3.jpg
fred

Convincing enough. :D

It's very difficult to date some worked flints by style as stuff was made for many millennia. We are lucky in that here (Kent) there is a lot of flint so our ancestors tended to choose the good quality black stuff which outcrops in several places. It generally takes a long while for the surface of flaked flint to develop a patina so most Neolithic and more recent stuff is still fairly bright and shiny. It's the older stuff, some very old indeed, that causes the grief. :thumbsup:
DaveP

There's plenty of flint around here too so they could choose (Surrey North Downs depending on the field) but the patina or recortication is very varied. I've got some BA large scrapers that have already turned grey and some Meso blades where some are still bright and others show a perfect cross section of recortication and are very grey on the outside. A lot seems to depend on the flint/chert starting material and the ground conditions. None of the chert to jasper pieces I've found seem to change much irrespective of age, at least in this area.
I've had a number of cores from these fields and we are steadily building up a date and location map which needs adapting at every cultivation cycle :thumbdown: