15" Coil

MARKW

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 15" coil for my Nox 600, but not sure whether to go with the stock Minelab coil or the Coiltek version. Has anybody had any experience of either and got any advice as to which is better on pasture?

Cheers.
Pete E

MARKW wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:29 am Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 15" coil for my Nox 600, but not sure whether to go with the stock Minelab coil or the Coiltek version. Has anybody had any experience of either and got any advice as to which is better on pasture?

Cheers.
I could not get hold of the Coiltek version when I was looking for a 15" coil, so went with the ML version. I have to say I have been really impressed with it and it is now my standard coil on my machine. People say it doesn't pick up small stuff, but I find .177 pellets, and bits of alloy the size of cut quarters fairly regularly...

That said, the Coiltek is supposed to be a bit better in all respects, but once they were out and people were using them, the hype seemed to die down very quickly...I don't think the Coiltek is a bad coil, but I personally don't feel the need to upgrade to one..

In your situation, I think you would be pleased with either coil, it's just whether you can justify the extra for the Coiltek.

The only negative I found is the ML version does make the machine "heavy", so I use a homemade swing harness...The Coiltek is a touch heavier again than the ML version, so keep that in mind....
Saffron

I have the Minelab 15" coil for my Nox 800 and normally detect on old pasture.

If very clean pasture with few targets the extra ground coverage is a definate advantage, I also do a bit on beaches where once a long way out at low tide away from all the "sunseekers" rubbish even more so. It gives a slight depth advantage (IMHO not enough to justify buying it for - I only got mine for the extra ground coverage).

It does change the balance of the machine, and you need to shorten the stem by one hole (it then feels like the standard coil). As with most larger coils pinpointing IMHO is not quite so accurate (but I admit this might be "user related" rather than due to coil).

My default coil is still the standard 11" (due to iron on most of my permissions). However the 15" is well worth getting and has definate advantages IN THE CORRECT SITUATION (same comment about the 6" coil which is great in awkward to get at places or where there is a lot of rubbish) and mine gets a fair share of usage. If your permissions have fairly few diggable targets and not too much iron it will definately help, but do not expect a massive increase in finds (if its not there to start with it can not be found).

I do also know somebody that uses the Minelab 15" coil and swears by it and never now uses the standard 11" coil.

Sorry but I do not know anybody that has the Coiltek version so can not comment on it.

Evan
Saffron

Pete E wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:57 am
<cut>
The only negative I found is the ML version does make the machine "heavy", so I use a homemade swing harness...The Coiltek is a touch heavier again than the ML version, so keep that in mind....
Pete,
its not so much due to the weight of the 15" coil but due to the change in balance it causes. I do not know how you find using the harness but if you find detecting easier without it then by shortening the detectors stem by one hole the 15" coil feels much more like the standard coil.

Evan
Easylife

I have been using the ML 15" coil on pasture for 3 years ever since I got it. I like the extra ground coverage and it is still sensitive to small targets. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
Easylife

Saffron wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am As with most larger coils pinpointing IMHO is not quite so accurate (but I admit this might be "user related" rather than due to coil).
I find that the ML 15" coil sweet spot is about 1 1/2" forward and just to the right of centre so I go by that when X'ing. Though close iron can often move the target. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
MARKW

Thanks for the advice, I am only looking to get the bigger coil for the extra ground coverage really. Was hoping for increased depth coverage but it sounds like there might not be a great deal of improvement in depth it gets to. I think I'll probably favour the ML coil if it's lighter as after a few hours detecting I'd expect the extra weight will take its toll.
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:06 am Pete,
its not so much due to the weight of the 15" coil but due to the change in balance it causes. I do not know how you find using the harness but if you find detecting easier without it then by shortening the detectors stem by one hole the 15" coil feels much more like the standard coil.

Evan
It could be a balance issue, as I never really considered that....I normally have my finds bag, pinpointer and trowel ect on a web belt with shoulder straps, so adding a short length of bungee was dead easy for me...With this set up, it actually feels lighter than the standard coil...
Using this set up, I can naturally push the detector out further Infront of me and take quite wide swings...The only real downside is you have to watch your speed, as it's easy to swing too fast, and that's something I catch myself doing nearly every time I am out....

Re the pinpointing, I find you have to be very careful with very shallow targets, especially if they are small...I find you will almost get a double pinpoint, where I think it registers on the edge of the coil as well as the centre...Once I realised this double pinpoint occurs, it just take my time on shallow targets and look for the "true centre" sort of thing..it's almost harder to explain than it is to do!
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:17 am I find that the ML 15" coil sweet spot is about 1 1/2" forward and just to the right of centre so I go by that when X'ing. Though close iron can often move the target. :thumbsup:
What really impressed me with the 15" coil is that I still find the target separation is very good and although ferrous nearby can throw you, once you switch to pin point mode, you can normally pick up the multiple targets with their own tone increases as you pass over them...
Pete E

MARKW wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:52 am Thanks for the advice, I am only looking to get the bigger coil for the extra ground coverage really. Was hoping for increased depth coverage but it sounds like there might not be a great deal of improvement in depth it gets to. I think I'll probably favour the ML coil if it's lighter as after a few hours detecting I'd expect the extra weight will take its toll.
Personally, I think you do get a little more absolute depth, but also let's say you are getting iffy signals on a target that's 10" with the 11" coil, the 15" coil will firm those signals up nicely and make them more obvious diggers...