Nox reading low on all targets!

Easylife

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my Nox was oddly reading low on targets towards the end of the session, even when air tested in the field, but when I tested the same targets later they read normal. I also thought that it was maybe noisier than usuaI. I cleaned out the coil cover and did a factory reset just in case that had any bearing.
When out detecting next time I noticed that after maybe 1/2hr my Nox was then giving lower than normal but consistent target readings. I later switched the detector back on and those same targets then read correctly.
So this morning I thought I had better figure out what was causing this anomaly of lower than normal target readings. It turned out to be a bad connection where the cable enters the coil, moving it a bit gives normal target readings. This was the 15" coil which I have been using for 3 years and over 200 searches so I can't really complain. It perhaps hasn't helped by using a telescopic shaft either? But no worries I guess it should be quite fixable (a rainy day job). Anyway it will be nice to use the standard coil again which I was reluctant to do while the 15" was okay. :D
Good things come to those who wait.
Blackadder43

I was going to say the battery may be on its way out and not holding its charge very well
But a loose cable also sounds like the culprit

Hope you get it sorted fella :thumbsup:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:26 am A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my Nox was oddly reading low on targets towards the end of the session, even when air tested in the field, but when I tested the same targets later they read normal. I also thought that it was maybe noisier than usuaI. I cleaned out the coil cover and did a factory reset just in case that had any bearing.
When out detecting next time I noticed that after maybe 1/2hr my Nox was then giving lower than normal but consistent target readings. I later switched the detector back on and those same targets then read correctly.
So this morning I thought I had better figure out what was causing this anomaly of lower than normal target readings. It turned out to be a bad connection where the cable enters the coil, moving it a bit gives normal target readings. This was the 15" coil which I have been using for 3 years and over 200 searches so I can't really complain. It perhaps hasn't helped by using a telescopic shaft either? But no worries I guess it should be quite fixable (a rainy day job). Anyway it will be nice to use the standard coil again which I was reluctant to do while the 15" was okay. :D
Unless you are a whiz with electronics and a soldering iron, I think the coil is goosed! Remember you should have a three year warranty on it, so that would be my first port of call...
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:02 pm Unless you are a whiz with electronics and a soldering iron, I think the coil is goosed! Remember you should have a three year warranty on it, so that would be my first port of call...
Thanks, it is just over 3 years old but I will still enquire. :thumbsup:
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:10 pm Thanks, it is just over 3 years old but I will still enquire. :thumbsup:
Somebody on FB had the lead on their coil chewed by their dog..They (the person, not the dog!) apparently made enquiries to an authorised repairer, and was told it's essentially treated as a sealed throw away item.... :cry:
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:20 pm Somebody on FB had the lead on their coil chewed by their dog..They (the person, not the dog!) apparently made enquiries to an authorised repairer, and was told it's essentially treated as a sealed throw away item.... :cry:
That's right, ML just replace the unit rather than repair it. My coil is 3 months out of warranty so will see if ML will replace it as a goodwill gesture. If not then I will repair it. :thumbsup: