NCMD app has been launched

Oxgirl

For NCMD members only as you need to login to use it. Available for Apple and Android and in store now. Just search NCMD and it comes up part way down the page. It’s free.

You can use it to record your own finds on your phone with find spot details (using the location info from your phone)and a photo, etc. This can be done with What3words or GPS. As an aside note this could be useful if you don’t have the What3words app on your phone and need urgent emergency help too! They have assured us that the photo and details only stay on your phone and aren’t shared. Via the app you can enter the monthly best finds competition, use their forum, access your electronic membership card, etc.

It also has details of the free hoard emergency excavation fund contact info which could be useful in the field if you are a lucky so and so and find a hoard that needs excavating. General advice on what to do if you find a hoard is provided as well. Plus you can easily access the contact details of the PAS finds liaison officers too.

Worth a look. It seems well set out, clear and easy to use :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Sounds like a decent app :thumbsup:

I might have to consider re-joining :lol:
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:21 pm For NCMD members only as you need to login to use it. Available for Apple and Android and in store now. Just search NCMD and it comes up part way down the page. It’s free.

You can use it to record your own finds on your phone with find spot details (using the location info from your phone)and a photo, etc. This can be done with What3words or GPS. As an aside note this could be useful if you don’t have the What3words app on your phone and need urgent emergency help too! They have assured us that the photo and details only stay on your phone and aren’t shared. Via the app you can enter the monthly best finds competition, use their forum, access your electronic membership card, etc.

It also has details of the free hoard emergency excavation fund contact info which could be useful in the field if you are a lucky so and so and find a hoard that needs excavating. General advice on what to do if you find a hoard is provided as well. Plus you can easily access the contact details of the PAS finds liaison officers too.

Worth a look. It seems well set out, clear and easy to use :thumbsup:
Just had a quick look, and it looks pretty good! My one small gripe is that it uses What Three Words instead of a proper OS Grid Ref...I have emailed them to ask for the option to use Grid Ref but I am not holding my breath!
Hordfindend

That's ace. I've been waiting for them to release it.
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:44 pm Sounds like a decent app :thumbsup:

I might have to consider re-joining :lol:
Worth the £8 a year just for the emergency excavation fund alone in my view. For those that don’t know it offers members access to up to £500 (per event) for the proper excavation of a hoard or other significant find on private or club permissions. It is done in conjunction with PAS and the county archeologists and helps them to mitigate their costs, especially important at the moment as lots of areas have had budget cuts. Note Scotland isn’t covered yet though, only England and Wales. The app is a nice added extra though :thumbsup:
jcmaloney

Pete E wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:55 pm Just had a quick look, and it looks pretty good! My one small gripe is that it uses What Three Words instead of a proper OS Grid Ref...I have emailed them to ask for the option to use Grid Ref but I am not holding my breath!
What3words is far better and a great move from NGR`s.
Currently used by the emergency services, couriers are starting to embed it and even some electric cars are adding it instead of a sat nav based on postcode.
Its also embedded in the more recent PAS records for the benefit of GIS that also uses W3W

I`m no tech slave but it is a really good development.
:thumbsup:
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
Pete E

jcmaloney wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:22 am What3words is far better and a great move from NGR`s.
Currently used by the emergency services, couriers are starting to embed it and even some electric cars are adding it instead of a sat nav based on postcode.
Its also embedded in the more recent PAS records for the benefit of GIS that also uses W3W

I`m no tech slave but it is a really good development.
:thumbsup:
Just looking at an OS map of one of my permissions and struggling to see how I can use What3Words on it???

If I want to give a general location to within just a 1km or even 100m, there no real way to use What3Words???

I can look at an OS map, any OS map, and read off a NGR without needing any electronics or signals..

OS NGR has been the gold standard for land navigation for a long time...What3Words is useful for something's, but has its limitations..Add or miss an "S" at the end of a word for instance, and you have exactly the same problem as somebody getting a digit wrong in a grid ref...
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:30 pm Just looking at an OS map of one of my permissions and struggling to see how I can use What3Words on it???

If I want to give a general location to within just a 1km or even 100m, there no real way to use What3Words???
I see what you mean, I think that the intended idea is for accuracy to a 3m square. If you just want to give a general location then just name the nearest village? But if you are referring to PAS find spots then they auto convert to grid ref and reduce for public viewing.
Good things come to those who wait.
Oxgirl

Pete E wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:30 pm Just looking at an OS map of one of my permissions and struggling to see how I can use What3Words on it???

I can look at an OS map, any OS map, and read off a NGR without needing any electronics or signals..

OS NGR has been the gold standard for land navigation for a long time...What3Words is useful for something's, but has its limitations..Add or miss an "S" at the end of a word for instance, and you have exactly the same problem as somebody getting a digit wrong in a grid ref...
What 3 words is accurate to a 1 metre square. PAS will now accept it as find spot info instead of a GPS reference. If you want to convert a set of W3W references to GPS you can do it here https://what3words.com/products/batch-converter
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:00 pm What 3 words is accurate to a 1 metre square.
Their web site say's it's 3 metres? :?
Good things come to those who wait.
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:22 pm Their web site say's it's 3 metres? :?
Apologies you are right :thumbsup:
jcmaloney

Yep clue is in the name - 3 words for 3 metres...... what3words... :thumbsup:

And declaring my interest as an early investor. :D
Oxgirl

jcmaloney wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm Yep clue is in the name - 3 words for 3 metres...... what3words... :thumbsup:

And declaring my interest as an early investor. :D
Errrr isn’t that a reference to the 3 words used, not the size of the square? :Luv Ya:
jcmaloney

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:23 pm Errrr isn’t that a reference to the 3 words used, not the size of the square? :Luv Ya:
What3words essentially points to a very specific location.
Its developers divided the world into 57 trillion squares, each measuring 3m by 3m (10ft by 10ft) and each having a unique, randomly assigned three-word address.

So its a bit of both.... 3 words, 3 metre squares. :D