Hunting out bottle tips

Kenleyboy

I have a list of potential bottle tips which all take time to search out and do some local detective work on and those that show some promise take priority . This Easter weekend was an ideal time to have a few days off , do some gardening and earn me a few brownie points and give me a few hours to freely roam and get to checking and ticking off my list .
The one I had in mind has been fermenting in the background for well over a year and i wanted to lay it to rest so off I set for a few hours on my chosen route and with all these things you have to have an open mind .
On my first visit I never go armed with any tools , it is purely a case of sniffing out the lay of the land , after all it could be one of those where it requires a door knock etc .
This one was an easy one , no hassle , just off the road and some open woodland and going by my map reading and the aid of the internet I knew I had the right spot .
One very large pit which showed up on a turn of the century map and it wasnt hard to find , it was deep !!
20220417_151105_resized[58515].jpg
Somewhere around the perimeter of this cavernous and very dangerous looking pit should have some signs of tipping and it wasnt too long before I found what I was looking for and thankfully this was at the mouth of the pit which was very shallow .
20220417_155316_resized[58516]surface bottles.jpg
Here the ground was littered in broken glass but not quite the age I was looking for , it was 1930s plus but fortunately there were signs of earlier stuff . At the bottom of the shallow gradient of the pit was even more evidence of tipping , mixed in with the usual trash .
20220417_153505_resized[58520]insulators.jpg
Plenty of ceramic insulators , not my thing but people do collect these and in amongst this lot was some more earlier fragments which again showed promise .
20220417_153912_resized[58519]promising .jpg
All these little clues give way to an age of constant tipping , the question was for how long and exactly how old . I scanned the edges of the pit , most were almost sheer but looking for more clues I could see a gradual slope slightly darker soil and then the clue I needed in the shape of a bottle poking out . A sturdy stick and I was able to prize the bottle from the compact soil which them revealed dark ash and i knew then that this was the tipping point and over the years with constant use it had built up creating this gradual slope . A bit more stick probing and I was beginning unearth yet more bottles .
20220417_155009_resized[58517]ash slope bottles.jpg
At this point I had enough evidence and without any digging tools it was pointless going any further but I will return at some stage and dig some test holes just to see if anything earlier lurks below :thumbsup:
fred

Poking around is always a nice way to spend a sunny day. :thumbsup:
Easylife

The pictures remind me of the tip I dug the other year, similar bottles too. It will be interesting to see what is deeper and I hope there are some much older goodies there for you. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
Oxgirl

That looks very promising! Look forward to seeing the results of your test pits. I suspect it’ll be very interesting :Star:
If you are angry you are living in the past,
If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you’re content you are living in the present, and that’s when life all starts to make sense.

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Looking good , Paul.
Like those ceramic insulators.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

My untrained eye says there must be some good finds down in the depths of that area :ugeek:
Looking forward to a full dig if it goes ahead
Good use of earnt freetime too :clapping:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup: