Vertebrae from Charmouth

mattjb

Was round my parents place earlier and young un wanted to look at the fossil collection. My parents had a caravan between Lyme Regis and Charmouth for 30+ years and fossil hunting was a regular summer holiday activity when I was young, often at Charmouth beach.
One summer there was a bit of a drought and the river at Charmouth more or less dried up exposing a lot of stones that you wouldn’t normally see. This line of 3 vertebrae was picked up from the river bed.
I remember we took it into one of the fossil shops in Lyme and was told it was likely to be from an ichthyosaur.
It’s always fascinated me and is by far my favourite from the fossils we found so I thought some of you might be interested to see it.
Attachments
75B13952-0AFF-48FA-AC9E-6C06ACC21A50.jpeg
Dave The Slave

Been there a few times Matt, as i`m in Dorset.
Always go to the left and avoid the Hammer and Chisel brigade and go further down the beach. Have found vertebrae there as well but not as large as your example.
Normally follow the cliff face and get into some of the safer areas, where there are old falls and then come back along the seashore, your eyes soon become tuned to looking for something out of context.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
mattjb

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm Been there a few times Matt, as i`m in Dorset.
Always go to the left and avoid the Hammer and Chisel brigade and go further down the beach. Have found vertebrae there as well but not as large as your example.
Normally follow the cliff face and get into some of the safer areas, where there are old falls and then come back along the seashore, your eyes soon become tuned to looking for something out of context.
Dave.
Yep we always go to the left and walk a long way , done best on a falling tide.Usually look for the areas of dark pyrites and the nice little ammonites can be found in those spots.I’ve got a picture frame with some nice ammonites in, all found in a day last time I went. Was a blazing hot day and my builders bum got a savage toasting from being bent over looking through the shingle!
figgis

Cracking item and thanks for sharing it :thumbsup:
mattjb

Staying on the fossil theme, this is one I found very local to me during one of the lockdowns. There is a local nature area easy cycling/walking from our house on the edge of Bristol and we were visiting it a fair bit as you couldn’t do much else!
I was turning stones in a stream and catching bullheads (small type of fish ) with my hands for the young un to see when my eye caught sight of this fossilised tree bark. This area used to be a coal mining area back in the day so obviously prehistoric forests were around here and apparently it’s a known area for fossil wood, ferns etc.
There is even a black substance in the grooves that has a tar/coal type smell.
Attachments
9247BCE8-380E-435A-917A-5B890C6E5D43.jpeg
Dave The Slave

mattjb wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:51 pm Staying on the fossil theme, this is one I found very local to me during one of the lockdowns. There is a local nature area easy cycling/walking from our house on the edge of Bristol and we were visiting it a fair bit as you couldn’t do much else!
I was turning stones in a stream and catching bullheads (small type of fish ) with my hands for the young un to see when my eye caught sight of this fossilised tree bark. This area used to be a coal mining area back in the day so obviously prehistoric forests were around here and apparently it’s a known area for fossil wood, ferns etc.
There is even a black substance in the grooves that has a tar/coal type smell.
The tar/ coal substance may be oil. At Kimmeridge you can see large bands of the oil containing rock in the cliff.
Believe an episode of Coast had an experiment where the rock was heated to extract the oil.
Ref the fossilised trees, also an area, somewhere between Kimmeridge and Weymouth.
Dave.
mattjb

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:56 pm The tar/ coal substance may be oil. At Kimmeridge you can see large bands of the oil containing rock in the cliff.
Believe an episode of Coast had an experiment where the rock was heated to extract the oil.
Ref the fossilised trees, also an area, somewhere between Kimmeridge and Weymouth.
Dave.
Yes I think I can remember finding fossilised wood somewhere in the Portland area but it was a long time ago!
Interesting stuff about the rock containing oil Dave.
Easylife

Good things come to those who wait.