Zapping.

mattjb

Being meaning to give zapping a try on some crusty coins and buttons for a while and having a bit of time on my hands decided today was the day.
I stripped the wires on an old Nokia phone charger and twisted the bare wires onto some paper clips as I didn’t have any croc clips. I attached one paper clip to an old tea spoon and the other to the coin and dropped them into a dish of warm water that had salt dissolved into it. If the spoon fizzes and not the coin switch them round.
Takes a while to decrust a coin completely but the first two I’ve tried turned out well.
I should have done a before and after with the George 3rd as it was completely crusted and you couldn’t see much detail at all.I’ve taken some pics of the Canadian bank token before zapping instead.
So far it seems to be a good way of cleaning up items that would otherwise be in the rubbish finds box!
By the way don’t use one of your best teaspoons, it hasn’t done the one I used much good!
Attachments
8E5A73AB-9FAD-4EFA-BAB2-1461DBC63D7F.jpeg
FAF55DD5-770D-40D1-B097-DA6A64AA8FEC.jpeg
519C8C98-E3C8-4387-B747-E92B172EC8A7.jpeg
C6A5BFBE-3097-40D4-A33C-FFF836E659C7.jpeg
figgis

Great results :thumbsup:

There are many who turn away in disgust if zapping is even mentioned but I'm a great fan of it when it comes to items of little/no value.
Gleaner

Nice Work :clapping:
Easylife

Well they look better. :thumbsup:
Another effective way to clean up copper alloy items is to use a brass brush.
Good things come to those who wait.
Charles Abbeyville

mattjb wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:46 pm Being meaning to give zapping a try on some crusty coins and buttons for a while and having a bit of time on my hands decided today was the day.
I stripped the wires on an old Nokia phone charger and twisted the bare wires onto some paper clips as I didn’t have any croc clips. I attached one paper clip to an old tea spoon and the other to the coin and dropped them into a dish of warm water that had salt dissolved into it. If the spoon fizzes and not the coin switch them round.
Takes a while to decrust a coin completely but the first two I’ve tried turned out well.
I should have done a before and after with the George 3rd as it was completely crusted and you couldn’t see much detail at all.I’ve taken some pics of the Canadian bank token before zapping instead.
So far it seems to be a good way of cleaning up items that would otherwise be in the rubbish finds box!
By the way don’t use one of your best teaspoons, it hasn’t done the one I used much good!
How long do you zap it for? I have tried this and it seems to kill copper coins, they look like an aero bar under a magnifying glass.
HolzHammer

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:58 am How long do you zap it for? I have tried this and it seems to kill copper coins, they look like an aero bar under a magnifying glass.
Zapping Copper is an interesting pastime! You are never quite sure what's going to happen! In my experience buttons can come out quite well esp if they are silvered a bit ( livery types) but coins don't tend to come out that well but its quite fun trying!
HolzHammer

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:13 am Zapping Copper is an interesting pastime! You are never quite sure what's going to happen! In my experience buttons can come out quite well esp if they are silvered a bit ( livery types) but coins don't tend to come out that well but its quite fun trying!
....And what's left in the receptacle after a few coins and buttons get done is a delicious pick-me-up! 😂
mattjb

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:58 am How long do you zap it for? I have tried this and it seems to kill copper coins, they look like an aero bar under a magnifying glass.
I’m guessing about 15 minutes for a well encrusted coin. How they turn out probably depends on how corroded they already are before zapping.
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:14 am ....And what's left in the receptacle after a few coins and buttons get done is a delicious pick-me-up! 😂
Young un was quite impressed with the disgusting fizzing liquid!