Your advice - detector for youngster

DaveP

I recently posted about some paddocks I was asked to search and turned up lots of low value early-mid C20th coins including some nice silvers. It seems there was a Guide's camp on the site years ago. The owner's 11 year old grandson tagged along and now the grandparents want to buy him a detector.
There should be plenty still to find in the paddocks (I stopped digging pennies!) but they will eventually run dry. If he wants to carry on - he lives in London - then it's my guess the beach may be the only alternative. I've seen his attempts at hole filling so I doubt he'll get other local permissions at this point in time!
They've asked me for some advice on what to buy. I'm speaking to them later today for budget etc. and it needs to be new, but I'm leaning towards either the Simplex+ or Vanquish 340/440 for the following reasons:
1. Very good starter machines
2. Useable inland and wet beach
3. Should last a long time
4. Should be easier to sell on.

I know the cost doesn't stop there but I can advise them of all the other aspects of detecting.

I'd welcome any thoughts particularly from anyone who has or knows a youngster using a detector.
Jamesey1981

If beaches are going to be involved the the vanquish would be my choice, the simplex will work on the beach pretty well but the vanquish uses similar tech to the nox so that will do better.

Thames foreshore permit would be worth looking into for him, I've seen some interesting finds come up from those, but there are obvious safety considerations, depends how savvy he is and if he's going to be accompanied.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

XP Deus, WS4s
Minelab Equinox 600, ML80s
Minelab Explorer XS, XP blue backphones

Makro pointer, XP MI-6
Pete E

Personally, I would go for a secondhand Vanquish...there are a lot of good deals on secondhand detectors at the moment as people look to trade up...
DaveP

Pete E wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 am Personally, I would go for a secondhand Vanquish...there are a lot of good deals on secondhand detectors at the moment as people look to trade up...
I know what you mean but I did a search this morning and 2nd hand are holding their value making new, including warranty, a better deal. And it does need to be new for Christmas.
Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:43 am If beaches are going to be involved the the vanquish would be my choice, the simplex will work on the beach pretty well but the vanquish uses similar tech to the nox so that will do better.

Thames foreshore permit would be worth looking into for him, I've seen some interesting finds come up from those, but there are obvious safety considerations, depends how savvy he is and if he's going to be accompanied.
Good idea. I've tried detecting the foreshore but it was very hard work. Eyes only was better and much more relaxed. But it is a good shout and I'll let them know about the permit system. Junior permits (12-14yrs) are £35 and must be accompanied by permit holder adult - £90 for 3 years. As you say, safety considerations have to come first.
HolzHammer

I spoke to Nigel at Regtons on exactly this subject yesterday as I am enquiring on behalf of a friend. Ok, in his case the recipient is a 10 year old girl but I suspect my concern may be shared by you and your lot; and that is weight. Even though he is already 11, an adult's machine may still tire him fairly quickly

Regtons reckon the best bet is a Garrett 200i with a much smaller shaft made for children, this could obviously be changed as the child grows and you have a fairly decent entry level machine which won't cost the earth but will find things.

All the Best
Alexander
DaveP

Thanks - it's a difficult one. The Garret 200i is a tiny bit heavier than the Vanquish 340 at 1.27 and 1.2 Kg respectively but it will all be in the balance. Changing shafts will add to the cost but could be an option. And the Garret won't give him the beach option compared to the Vanquish.
I think we need a proper test done by children.

If a child really does struggle with weight and budget is tight then the Nokta Midi Hoard might be an option. I was given a Nokta mini hoard and found plenty of targets in the garden so assume the Midi will be the same.
mattjb

I haven’t really looked into it but seem to remember one of the cheaper quest detectors comes with two lower shafts one of which is shorter for kids. Might be worth a look
mattjb

mattjb wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:29 pm I haven’t really looked into it but seem to remember one of the cheaper quest detectors comes with two lower shafts one of which is shorter for kids. Might be worth a look
It was a quest x5 , 945g