Go Terrain tracking app is going to be free

Oxgirl

For XP’s 25th birthday they are making the Go Terrain tracking app free in the ‘standard’ version i.e. the version where you use it on your own, not shared with friends. So if you want to try it look out for the next XP newsletter and give it a go. I have been using it for about a year now and it’s brilliant as a stand alone tracking app for any machine. For those of you not familiar with the app it lets you track your hunt and save it to a field name. You can then pick up where you left off next time, keeping a record of where you’ve been saved to the cloud. When you make a find you can record the spot, adding a photo and description for your records. To this point it has been about £10 a year (price varies between Apple and Android) in the standard version. So for anyone with any machine it’s a really useful app if you want to track your activity. (EDIT - it was £10 a year it’s now £5)

If you are a XP user you can connect it to your machine. Connected to the machine it tracks every signal but it is a pain in the rear. In push mode it’s good if you care about knowing the VID numbers (which I don’t).
Attachments
IMG_3097.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Excellent news :thumbsup:

All I need now is the time to use the thing :lol:
TheFenTiger

Just installed it and it says I only have 2 weeks free
Dave
Oxgirl

TheFenTiger wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:54 pm Just installed it and it says I only have 2 weeks free
Their birthday is in the next few weeks so this is a pre announcement :thumbsup:
hammeredidiot

I had it for 6 months and then I unsubscribed from the standard version as in my area I have a useless 4g signal and I could only get 8 meters accuracy at best so maybe it’s a good thing that XP are going to offer it for free as they should have done in the first place as we’d waited a few years for it.
Easylife

figgis wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:06 pm All I need now is the time to use the thing :lol:
And read your detector manual to remember how it works! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:02 am For XP’s 25th birthday they are making the Go Terrain tracking app free in the ‘standard’ version i.e. the version where you use it on your own, not shared with friends. So if you want to try it look out for the next XP newsletter and give it a go. I have been using it for about a year now and it’s brilliant as a stand alone tracking app for any machine. For those of you not familiar with the app it lets you track your hunt and save it to a field name. You can then pick up where you left off next time, keeping a record of where you’ve been saved to the cloud. When you make a find you can record the spot, adding a photo and description for your records. To this point it has been about £10 a year (price varies between Apple and Android) in the standard version. So for anyone with any machine it’s a really useful app if you want to track your activity. (EDIT - it was £10 a year it’s now £5)

If you are a XP user you can connect it to your machine. Connected to the machine it tracks every signal but it is a pain in the rear. In push mode it’s good if you care about knowing the VID numbers (which I don’t).
Can you download the findspots to a PC Cath, so you can see/print off what was found where over years ?
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:11 am Can you download the findspots to a PC Cath, so you can see/print off what was found where over years ?
Yes. I never have but I believe there are a few ways you can download them. If you join the Go Terrain Facebook group they have loads of info on the options.
JohnDeus

So its a fiver and not free ? i have it but never used it and i was going to use it today but it said my trial had ran out and i had to pay :lol:
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:09 pm Yes. I never have but I believe there are a few ways you can download them. If you join the Go Terrain Facebook group they have loads of info on the options.
Thanks Cath, will have to take a look, I want something easy that can plot lots of points on a proper map :thumbsup:
Easylife

alloverover wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:59 pm I want something easy that can plot lots of points on a proper map :thumbsup:
One quite simple way is to save your waypoints in GeoTracker or even Google maps on your phone. I use a GPS unit to record my tracks then save them in Google Earth. I also create search grids and save them in GeoTracker for easy location on a field. But all that is still easy enough though a bit more of an engaging process. :thumbsup:
alloverover

Easylife wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:12 pm One quite simple way is to save your waypoints in GeoTracker or even Google maps on your phone. I use a GPS unit to record my tracks then save them in Google Earth. I also create search grids and save them in GeoTracker for easy location on a field. But all that is still easy enough though a bit more of an engaging process. :thumbsup:
Cheers Easy, I didnt know you could do that, ive not even heard of Geotracker. Ive been using what3words last outing, saved location with photo, but still cant save all points on a map.
I used to use a GPS for certain fields and occasions but back then you couldnt download them they were just in the GPS unit.
Can I download and print off locations with what your suggesting and can I see many findspots in real time on my phone ?
Cheers mate :thumbsup:
TheFenTiger

alloverover wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:32 pm Cheers Easy, I didnt know you could do that, ive not even heard of Geotracker. Ive been using what3words last outing, saved location with photo, but still cant save all points on a map.
I used to use a GPS for certain fields and occasions but back then you couldnt download them they were just in the GPS unit.
Can I download and print off locations with what your suggesting and can I see many findspots in real time on my phone ?
Cheers mate :thumbsup:
I still use a dedicated GPS unit and it is possible to convert them to google earth and you can fiddle with the labels. This is from my best field with each colour being a different monarch with different labels
Screenshot_20210811-204824_Chrome.jpg
Dave
Easylife

alloverover wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:32 pm I used to use a GPS for certain fields and occasions but back then you couldnt download them they were just in the GPS unit.
I use a GPS for recording tracks and certain waypoints only. Though a phone screen being much larger and having satellite imagery is much better to see what's what when you are on the field. So I use them both devices for different purposes. I use an old phone without a sim card for GeoTracker, it saves satellite imagery from when connected to my WiFi. In Google Earth you can create folders for different permissions, with sub folders for say tracks, finds, and features.
alloverover wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:32 pm Can I download and print off locations with what your suggesting?
You can export the data to a file or cloud storage to then open on any app or device, or convert locations to spreadsheet.
alloverover wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:32 pm Can I see many findspots in real time on my phone ?
Yes, in GeoTracker or Google Earth you can toggle any saved data visibly on or off.

Other apps are available but these suit my own purposes best. :thumbsup:
alloverover

TheFenTiger wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:33 pm I still use a dedicated GPS unit and it is possible to convert them to google earth and you can fiddle with the labels. This is from my best field with each colour being a different monarch with different labels

Screenshot_20210811-204824_Chrome.jpg
Thats the sort of thing im after doing Dave :thumbsup: