Rutus Versa and Deus 2

Shockwave

Good Morning! I've recently opened up a discussion on an eventual MD upgrade. Today however I'd like to know about your experiences with both detectors in terms of stability and depth as well as unmasking why do you like the Deus 2 and why do you like the Versa?
Oxgirl

Gawd you know how to ask a difficult question! :D

Deus II user for 2.5 years. I've found hammered pennies at over pinpointer depth and things like pewter spoon bowls at double that. My fields are generally quite clean so I don't get lots of unmasking experience. Saying that I have had hammered pennies and tiny bits of lead between the blanket of iron signals in gateways. Stability is superb, even when it is cranked up.

Saying that it can, like all SMF machines, be sensitive to electrical sources in damp weather. It also has a longer learning curve than some other machines.

On the positive side it is light and ergonomic so you can keep detecting when arm ache would have set in with most other machines. It is a machine biased towards detectorists who prefer to hear rather than see information about a target. Obviously you get both but all XP machines let you drop the visual info (if you want to) and just use your ears. I prefer that as I find it far more relaxing, not having to concentrate all the time. I can day dream if I want till my ears tell me to stop.

Not used a Rutus so can't comment on that machine :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Shockwave

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:10 am Gawd you know how to ask a difficult question! :D

Deus II user for 2.5 years. I've found hammered pennies at over pinpointer depth and things like pewter spoon bowls at double that. My fields are generally quite clean so I don't get lots of unmasking experience. Saying that I have had hammered pennies and tiny bits of lead between the blanket of iron signals in gateways. Stability is superb, even when it is cranked up.

Saying that it can, like all SMF machines, be sensitive to electrical sources in damp weather. It also has a longer learning curve than some other machines.

On the positive side it is light and ergonomic so you can keep detecting when arm ache would have set in with most other machines. It is a machine biased towards detectorists who prefer to hear rather than see information about a target. Obviously you get both but all XP machines let you drop the visual info (if you want to) and just use your ears. I prefer that as I find it far more relaxing, not having to concentrate all the time. I can day dream if I want till my ears tell me to stop.

Not used a Rutus so can't comment on that machine :thumbsup:

Heh I put you in difficulty didn't I?
Well what can I do about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was just looking around and saw that the Rutus is constantly getting updated and it gets ever more interesting when it does, whereas as far as I know the D2 has ceased being updated (correct me if I'm wrong), both machines are wonderful and FAST. My fields are iron infested so it's extra challenging, (yes I'm cramming trying to pull out a roman item any except nails would do great!)
Oxgirl

Shockwave wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:03 pm Heh I put you in difficulty didn't I?
Well what can I do about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was just looking around and saw that the Rutus is constantly getting updated and it gets ever more interesting when it does, whereas as far as I know the D2 has ceased being updated (correct me if I'm wrong), both machines are wonderful and FAST. My fields are iron infested so it's extra challenging, (yes I'm cramming trying to pull out a roman item any except nails would do great!)
Yes it is still being updated but only when it needs it. They take months, sometimes years, between updates so they can test it properly before release. XP, like all manufacturers, have rushed updates in the past and then had problems. After all if a machine doesn’t have bugs then it doesn’t need an update. Updates are there to fix bugs or to add something new. XP will add things or try and make something better but they don’t do it every few months after the machine has bedded in. In the first 18 months they’ve done numerous updates but not one for a year. Personally I prefer that - updates are a pain in the rear!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HammeredDeus

I don't own a Rutus machine. They seem well designed and made. The Versa is a younger design than the XP Deus 2, so it will have been updated more frequently and recently (I think some reviewers were under-whelmed by the performance of earlier software versions). The D2, being a more mature product, has not been updated for quite some time, other than to work with new hardware (XTrem Hunter).

XP has a very strong track record in maximising the useful life of their detectors - the original Deus has been updated numerous times, both to provide additions and improvements in function as well as providing for new hardware add-ons. They seem to be continuing that approach with the Deus 2 - the next update may come if/when they bring out a promised small elliptical HF coil for the D2.

I don't think you'd be disappointed by either machine.