Bulgaria trip - Scouting Roman locations on google maps

VelSatis

Hello fellow Detectorists!

I hope youve had a good weekend and some of you found some interesting finds.

I am planning my trip to Bulgaria and as some of you might know its quite rich in history.

As lidar is not freely used there ive had to reply on google maps and have been researching areas around my city and spotted some interesting locations.

Could you please let me know if you think this might be an area of interest?

It somehow maybe net exactly but its nearby a roman road that leads to Black Sea so potentially Roman location?

Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 14.35.40.png
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 14.35.26.png
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 14.35.15.png
Pasko

How do you use Lidar?
Oxgirl

It is incredibly hard to comment on features like that in other countries as everywhere things were done differently. It certainly looks like an area that has been farmed for some time and, if it was the UK, I’d consider the field size and shapes (especially the strip bits) to be at least medieval.

Good luck on your trip :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
VelSatis

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:34 am It is incredibly hard to comment on features like that in other countries as everywhere things were done differently. It certainly looks like an area that has been farmed for some time and, if it was the UK, I’d consider the field size and shapes (especially the strip bits) to be at least medieval.

Good luck on your trip :D
Thank you Oxgirl! I really appreciate your input on this! Will definitely head over these fields and report back with any interesting findings. Have a lovely summer!

Kind regards!
VelSatis

Pasko wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:10 pm How do you use Lidar?
Unfortunately in Bulgaria only private companies, the government and archeologists have access to it and not all country has been mapped so if you want something specific seen in LiDAR you would haver to pay privately to be mapped. In the UK its free to use data and many applications can be used to do so even online platforms.
Pasko

VelSatis wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:38 am Unfortunately in Bulgaria only private companies, the government and archeologists have access to it and not all country has been mapped so if you want something specific seen in LiDAR you would haver to pay privately to be mapped. In the UK its free to use data and many applications can be used to do so even online platforms.
Interesting. Did not know that. Thank you for info. And judging only by just the photos you posted of that area you wish to detect it looks promising. Good luck. 👍😉