Coil issue

BuriedByTime&Dust

I have a 9" coil that I bought with my Deus in 2017. Being 7 years old the battery is likely to be on its way out but it still charges fine and holds the charge well. However, the last time I used it, it was seriously chattery and I can't work out why.

At the site I was detecting, there are no EMI problems at all but the Deus was doing its best R2D2 impression with the coil stationary. I assumed that perhaps a mast had been put up or something that was causing it, but the next time I took the 11" coil, which was quiet as a mouse. If I put the 9" back on, the chatter was back. I'd previously never had any problems with the coil.

My question is whether an old battery could cause such an issue? It would cost £70 I think to have the battery replaced, but I'd be throwing that money away if it's still going to be chattery :thumbdown:
HammeredDeus

I think it's quite unlikely, but certainly not impossible, that an ageing bettery could be the cause of this.

I'm sure you've already done it, but it's definitely worth ensuring that there's no dirt/moisture trapped between the coil and the coil cover.

Are there any conditions under which the coil will go back to being well-behaved again?
Easylife

A typical cause of that issue is a fine break between the resin and outer on the bottom of the coil which has allowed some moisture into the windings. Sometimes it can be fixed by leaving the coil somewhere warm then sealing. :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
BuriedByTime&Dust

HammeredDeus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:19 am I think it's quite unlikely, but certainly not impossible, that an ageing bettery could be the cause of this.

I'm sure you've already done it, but it's definitely worth ensuring that there's no dirt/moisture trapped between the coil and the coil cover.

Are there any conditions under which the coil will go back to being well-behaved again?
No, the skittish nature seems permanent now :thumbdown:

I think you're right that it's unlikely to be the battery. I was hoping (but not expecting, to be honest!) that someone would say they'd had the same thing and a battery change fixed it. It's annoying, because the 9 is a coil I use a lot so it might be time to write that one off, dig deep (if you'll parden the pun), and get an X-35 or perhaps even the 9" HF :Thinking:
BuriedByTime&Dust

Easylife wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:59 am A typical cause of that issue is a fine break between the resin and outer on the bottom of the coil which has allowed some moisture into the windings. Sometimes it can be fixed by leaving the coil somewhere warm then sealing. :Thinking:
I'll have to look closely. I didn't see anything obvious at the time, but the ol' peepers ain't what they used to be! :lol: