Puzzled

bleepdigswear

I found this object at the weekend which remains undated and is possibly a trade weight. Can anyone please help me understand why this was designed in a wedge shape?
IMG_2024.jpeg
IMG_2040.jpeg
Littleboot

If you feel it is a weight then maybe it is best to actually state the weight. Just saying. :D
Live long and prosper.
HammeredDeus

bleepdigswear wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:46 pm I found this object at the weekend which remains undated and is possibly a trade weight. Can anyone please help me understand why this was designed in a wedge shape?
IMG_2024.jpeg
IMG_2040.jpeg
What does the back look like? Maybe it's wedge-shaped simply because the mould was on the wonk when it was poured?
bleepdigswear

The reverse is fairly even. It’s fair to say I am new to detecting so don’t really have an opinion. The object is 30 grams. Could it possibly be a farm token? Or maybe the person casting this did make a mistake and threw is away.
Attachments
IMG_2059.jpeg
Easylife

bleepdigswear wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:58 pm The object is 30 grams.
A 1oz weight. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Littleboot

That illustrates the generation gap better than anything! I would always check for Imperial measurements first...I was brought up with them and still struggle to 'visualise' how much I am getting for, say, 200 grams.
You are not going to dig anything in the UK of any age whatsoever in metric.
In France it is slightly different. France had Imperial weights and measures until the Revolution. An Ecu of Louis 15 is an ounce of silver. The equivalent after the hiatus was a silver 5 Franc piece. It weighs 25 grams. (5 grams per Franc, obviously.)So the 'weigh' :lol: I tell if a weight is pre or post revolution is if it is metric or not.
Live long and prosper.
bleepdigswear

Littleboot wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:12 am That illustrates the generation gap better than anything! I would always check for Imperial measurements first...I was brought up with them and still struggle to 'visualise' how much I am getting for, say, 200 grams.
You are not going to dig anything in the UK of any age whatsoever in metric.
In France it is slightly different. France had Imperial weights and measures until the Revolution. An Ecu of Louis 15 is an ounce of silver. The equivalent after the hiatus was a silver 5 Franc piece. It weighs 25 grams. (5 grams per Franc, obviously.)So the 'weigh' :lol: I tell if a weight is pre or post revolution is if it is metric or not.
Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of 50. However, I did realize that the object weighs just over an ounce. What could be purchased at this weight? An ounce of wheat, perhaps? I'm trying to learn and understand more about the objects I recover from the ground, as that's the most rewarding part for me. I'm so grateful for the collective knowledge in this group.
HammeredDeus

bleepdigswear wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:37 am .... What could be purchased at this weight? ...
Obvious ones would be tea, tobacco, spices, medicines, recipe ingredients, gunpowder, coins ...
I think the bit with the concentric ring pattern was clearly the 'fair face' and the opposite side was the meniscus of the poured molten lead. It has a nice patina and I guess it could easily be 200+ years old. :thumbsup:
Littleboot

Ounce weights were always part of a set of weights. I remember mum using a set of weights when she was measuring out for jam making back in the sixties.
Thing is, they were often used in a stack. An 8 oz, a 4 or 2 oz and a tiddler on the top. They were designed to stack that way. I doubt she ever used the ounce much as a single weight. Just like stamps. One Penny stamps were still available long after they were no longer anywhere near sufficient to post a letter as a single stamp. But they were used to make up the price and add to other stamps when a letter was charged by weight for example.
Live long and prosper.