Very chatty nokta simplex

GeorgeH91

Hi all, hope we’ll etc

I’ve been using my simplex for the last three years and today whilst detecting it suddenly went crazy / sounding like it was malfunctioning through very chatty non stop beeps etc. I did a system reset and took the power cord out, though it continued to make continuous noise even after the reset.

Any suggestions would be welcome,

Also in struggling to find the deus 1 online.
Do they still make them!?

Thanks

George
HammeredDeus

GeorgeH91 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:01 pm Hi all, hope we’ll etc

I’ve been using my simplex for the last three years and today whilst detecting it suddenly went crazy / sounding like it was malfunctioning through very chatty non stop beeps etc. I did a system reset and took the power cord out, though it continued to make continuous noise even after the reset.

Thanks

George
Given the age, I guess you're talking about the original Simplex+ ? Things to check would include making sure there isn't gunk trapped inside the coil protector, and that the wired coil connection isn't loose.

I think they're still selling the original Deus 1 (e.g. Regton and others). XP have also just launched a Deus 1 to 2 'Conversion Pack' as further encouragement to Deus 1 users to upgrade https://regton.com/deus-ii-9-conversion-pack.html
Blackadder43

As HD mentioned above it is wise to eliminate the obvious before spending money.

Coil cover may need cleaning
Check the coil for cracks as this will allow moisture in and mess with the electrics and cause the faults you describe

Were you on your normal field or was it a new area?.....You could have been in an area with significant EMI interference
Electric fences, overhead power lines etc

Have you detected in the rain recently?....may be your machine needs drying out
Not sure of the battery type of the simplex, but something else to check out
All connections from top to bottom

Pinpointers can also set them off as can mobile phones constantly looking for connections

I've been out of the loop for a few years so cant remember who repairs machines these days....I know a few folk here are on the ball with repairs etc
Blackadder43

This link here highlights the simplex being prone to EMI issues, so if it was a new area that could be it
Don't test it at home though as not many machines behave themselves in our home/garden environments
https://www.facebook.com/groups/noktade ... 028440443/
HammeredDeus

Blackadder43 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:13 pm This link here highlights the simplex being prone to EMI issues, so if it was a new area that could be it
Don't test it at home though as not many machines behave themselves in our home/garden environments
https://www.facebook.com/groups/noktade ... 028440443/
I wouldn't say the Simplex is much more prone to EMI than other machines really, and winding down the sensitivity (and iron volume) can definitely help. Were there other detectorists (or a rogue pinpointer) nearby - a cure would be to try a frequency shift? I've noticed that the Manticore in particular can project EMI some distance.

I've never had to resort to it, but the manual (p.12) also mentions adjusting ground balance manually to try and reduce chattiness:
https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-conte ... ual-en.pdf
mrspatch

GeorgeH91 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:01 pm Hi all, hope we’ll etc

Thanks

George
I had a simplex in past.. Had the same problem on a field.. Then discovered an electric fence. Also bear in mind, phones, smart watches and underground electric cables. I'd drop sensitivity back on that particular field.. Try it elsewhere just to check all is OK 😊