Deus 2 - the story so far

fred

My D2 has been given a good workout on the beach. It goes far, far deeper, than the Nox. separates targets brilliantly in junky areas and the pinpointing is spot on with minimal effort. It helps me greatly that in many ways it works like a Nox and can even be set up to sound like one. I wouldn't now use anything else but the D2 on beaches. :D

Despite the ground being very dry I am finding stuff on land with the D2 where I could not with the Nox. I am comfortable saying that it is just as good as the Nox but I suspect that once conditions are right it will exceed it. There are a lot of potential adjustments and the learning curve is probably going to be a long one unless I accidentally stumble onto the optimum programme and settings for my sites.

One major issue that I need to resolve on land is why the target ID is absolutely spot on for small iron but larger iron seems to come up with all sorts of numbers. On the Nox large iron generally came up as the same number and was identified by being surrounded by negative numbers or sounds,

I do have the usual reservations about XP machines, like rubbish supplied headphones, a stupid charging system and insecure fixings for the control panel and puck but I am devising workarounds where i can and will have to put up with whatever I can't change. What I will say, exactly as I did when I first got the Nox, is that it is a fun machine to use, and for me that counts for an awful lot. :thumbsup:
Rp123

Nice read Fred and toying with the idea to getting a d2 myself have the 1 at the moment keep reading good stuff about it might have to go for it πŸ‘
fred

Rp123 wrote: ↑Fri May 13, 2022 4:28 pm Nice read Fred and toying with the idea to getting a d2 myself have the 1 at the moment keep reading good stuff about it might have to go for it πŸ‘
Obviously I have come from a Nox so that is what I am comparing them with. I've only played with the D1 a little bit but the D2 seems to a vast improvement on it.

If you are considering changing machines you do need to remember that multifrequency is a different operating system so there will be new stuff to learn, it isn't just a case of it being exactly the same as a D1 but better. For a start swing speed really matters, with some setups at least you simply can't throw it around like a D1. :D
Rp123

Ok thanks for the advise Fred much appreciated πŸ‘
stupot

There are things about the D1 that a few of us knew, as there are with the DII. For the last 10 years since XP introduced the Deus it became a landmark detector on land. When the 800 came out I switched from the CTX to it for shore work as its sensitivity was far greater.

When it was in dry stones on the shore, the DI was so superior over the 800 on the shore by far. I knew if another model came out to handle the Wet, it would be a landmark detector. As it has been for me since January with the DII. Don't worry about big iron, its all in the audio & I can ID that at 20 nautical miles you will too!!

You are a very capable user Fred, you'll adapt very quickly. :clapping:
fred

stupot wrote: ↑Fri May 13, 2022 7:12 pm There are things about the D1 that a few of us knew, as there are with the DII. For the last 10 years since XP introduced the Deus it became a landmark detector on land. When the 800 came out I switched from the CTX to it for shore work as its sensitivity was far greater.

When it was in dry stones on the shore, the DI was so superior over the 800 on the shore by far. I knew if another model came out to handle the Wet, it would be a landmark detector. As it has been for me since January with the DII. Don't worry about big iron, its all in the audio & I can ID that at 20 nautical miles you will too!!

You are a very capable user Fred, you'll adapt very quickly. :clapping:

As far as beaches go I am already more than convinced by the D2 and I love it. I'm using square tones at the moment as the high pitched squealing really isn't for me. On the loose shingle beaches it's a little deeper than the Nox but not much, on sand and shingle it's noticeably deeper and on compacted sand or black sand it's awesome. Of course it's early days yet and I'll probably learn how to squeeze even more performance out of it, not that I'm going to be able to dig much deeper. :D

It's really interesting that you managed to get decent depth from the D1 on dry shingle because, as far as I could tell, the Nox outperformed it every time by a country mile even if the discrimination was unreliable or lacking at depth. Mind you I suspect that in both our cases we were doing things with our respective machines which defied the conventional wisdom. I stopped discussing depths on open forums because people just didn't believe that they were possible.Still, if people want to leave deep stuff they are welcome to do so and I can't wait to get back to a few of the further flung beaches where I've previously had good success with the Nox. :D

One thing that I have noticed is that the target identification numbers seem to be a bit more bunched on the D2 than I had expected. Given that it's mostly software defined I would have thought that there would be more unique signals e.g. 72 is a 20p piece but it's also various other regularly occurring odds and sods of scrap metal. It may be that there are tonal differences, like on the Nox, or perhaps Square Tones isn't good for hearing the differences or perhaps they work better on American coins, whatever the reason I can't really pick them out from the junk with any certainty yet. :thumbsup: