Culling the Noxes

fred

The D2 is now my go to machine for beaches no only because it performs brilliantly but because It is light, can be swung quicker for better coverage and is just good fun to use. It also helps that it has paid for itself more than twice over in four or five months and I am now pretty confident with it (but still learning). :thumbsup:

I am less certain about how well the D2 will perform on land. Based on some limited detecting on pasture before the ground dried out, I think that it should be at least as good as the Nox so one Nox has just gone to a better place, well to my brother in Coventry actually. I have hung on to the other one in case the D2 doesn't cut the mustard on land and anyway I need to have a backup machine. :D
Easylife

Since getting the D2, apart from a couple of beaches, I have only had chance to use it on very dry ground with few targets though it still managed it's first hammered. I find that the Nox gets pretty decent depth even in dry ground so not sure how they both compare in that scenario yet? I wouldn't really expect my usual Nox 15" coil and D2 9" coil to be on an even footing, though yet to find out. I haven't used the Nox for a few weeks so I am going to use it first next search and then swap to the D2 to see if there is any noticeable general response difference on the no doubt dry ground. The lighter weight of the D2 is quite a bonus, and more so if you don't need the remote attached. I'm keeping one of each too. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
fred

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:38 pm Since getting the D2, apart from a couple of beaches, I have only had chance to use it on very dry ground with few targets though it still managed it's first hammered. I find that the Nox gets pretty decent depth even in dry ground so not sure how they both compare in that scenario yet? I wouldn't really expect my usual Nox 15" coil and D2 9" coil to be on an even footing, though yet to find out. I haven't used the Nox for a few weeks so I am going to use it first next search and then swap to the D2 to see if there is any noticeable general response difference on the no doubt dry ground. The lighter weight of the D2 is quite a bonus, and more so if you don't need the remote attached. I'm keeping one of each too. :thumbsup:
I am using it at a Facebook dig near St Neots this Saturday and then on a club dig on Sunday. When I last compared machines I was pretty new to the D2 but still managed to get about the same depth as the Nox so I'm hoping that all my beach experience since then will count for something. The D2 certainly seems to love silver anyway, there's no way of mistaking a silver ring - 95 and it screams. :D
Easylife

fred wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:52 pm The D2 certainly seems to love silver anyway, there's no way of mistaking a silver ring - 95 and it screams. :D
The one I got on the beach did too. I feel that dropping the reactivity on the D2 may work better overall than on the D1 or Nox? :Thinking:
Good things come to those who wait.
fred

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:00 pm The one I got on the beach did too. I feel that dropping the reactivity on the D2 may work better overall than on the D1 or Nox? :Thinking:
The D2 is definitely a machine you really need to understand and fine tune to get the most out of.

There is a direct depth reduction as you increase reactivity, however, on busy sites if you use too little you will lose good targets amongst the general 'noise' because the targets are not separated properly. On beaches using an 11inch coil I generally work with reactivity set set at 1 or 1.5 and scoot along pretty fast. If I encounter areas where there are several bits of iron under the coil at the same time I increase it to 2 or even 2.5 and swing much more slowly. :thumbsup:
Mudripper

Fred you can still use:my sovereign or my tarsacci or my nox or my Goldscan g5c :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: or my D2

MR
fred

Mudripper wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:05 pm Fred you can still use:my sovereign or my tarsacci or my nox or my Goldscan g5c :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: or my D2

MR
You could always get rid of a few and buy a smaller house. Go on, you know that you can do it. :D
Sparrowlegs

no need for back up wait for the rain to soak the land and watch the finds appear, its got the tech to do really well :thumbsup:
TheFenTiger

fred wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:52 pm I am using it at a Facebook dig near St Neots this Saturday
I did look at that dig as it is literally just down the road. Should be some reasonable history around there and a club member detects not far from Buckden so I have seen the type of stuff that is in that area. Will be interesting to see what comes up.
Dave
BuriedByTime&Dust

Sparrowlegs wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:28 am no need for back up wait for the rain to soak the land and watch the finds appear, its got the tech to do really well :thumbsup:
Rain? What's that? :lol:
fred

TheFenTiger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:55 am I did look at that dig as it is literally just down the road. Should be some reasonable history around there and a club member detects not far from Buckden so I have seen the type of stuff that is in that area. Will be interesting to see what comes up.
If you get there do say hello. I'll be in a White Fiat Panda. :thumbsup:
fred

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:52 am Rain? What's that? :lol:

Hopefully more than just the three splots that I got on the windscreen on the way up in the wee hours. I presume that was just August's ration. :D