Summertime

Easylife

Hordfindend wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:59 pm I also leave a card, offering free recovery of lost items.
And, I made sure that the card has a little ruler on it, so it comes in handy- less likely to be thrown away!
A great idea, but surely they cannot be too impressed with the ruler starting at 8mm? :shock:
Good things come to those who wait.
Dave The Slave

Easylife wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:02 pm
Hordfindend wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:59 pm I also leave a card, offering free recovery of lost items.
And, I made sure that the card has a little ruler on it, so it comes in handy- less likely to be thrown away!
A great idea, but surely they cannot be too impressed with the ruler starting at 8mm? :shock:
Brought back memories of a wooden fishing ruler my Grand father had normal on one side, 3 times the size on the back ,for the one that got away. :lol:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Hordfindend

Easylife wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:02 pm
It's the thought that counts 😂
Charles Abbeyville

Hordfindend wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:59 pm
Charles Abbeyville wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:45 am

Wow, there's ambition. You will be very very lucky to get permission in Lincolnshire and I think Yorkshire and Norfolk will be the same. Walk toward a farmer's door near Lincoln City with a map in your hand and you will be lucky to get out alive, they must get asked almost daily. There are loads of great sites here but loads of farmers who always say "no" even though they know we detect the next farm to them.
We have one site we have been trying to get on for at least 25 years and we finally talked him round last year, that's how tough it is here. That's not to say it's impossible but this has and still is a busy detectorist county.
I'm in Yorkshire. I estimate my success rate when knocking on the door is about 1 sucess in every 10 attempts.

But if I go nearby to a permission and introduce myself with a 'reference' from a local farmer, it's almost always successful.

Usually the knockbacks are because they already have a detectorist/club, or the land is rented off a big estate (thanks Queen or Duchy of Lancaster!). It's very rare I get a flat 'no'.

I also leave a card, offering free recovery of lost items.

Yes I did actually walk up to a farmer's back door with a map in my hand just outside Lincoln, I can't remember now exactly how it went but I do remember thinking I'll never do that again!
Your 10% hit rate is quite encouraging, much better hit rate than I would have thought. I rarely ask nowadays but if a particular farmer falls off his perch I would have another go then. (I have one in mind of course :thumbsup: )
Hordfindend

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:15 pm
Hordfindend wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:59 pm

I'm in Yorkshire. I estimate my success rate when knocking on the door is about 1 sucess in every 10 attempts.

But if I go nearby to a permission and introduce myself with a 'reference' from a local farmer, it's almost always successful.

Usually the knockbacks are because they already have a detectorist/club, or the land is rented off a big estate (thanks Queen or Duchy of Lancaster!). It's very rare I get a flat 'no'.

I also leave a card, offering free recovery of lost items.

Yes I did actually walk up to a farmer's back door with a map in my hand just outside Lincoln, I can't remember now exactly how it went but I do remember thinking I'll never do that again!
Your 10% hit rate is quite encouraging, much better hit rate than I would have thought. I rarely ask nowadays but if a particular farmer falls off his perch I would have another go then. (I have one in mind of course :thumbsup: )
It is roughly a 10% hit rate, which is absolutely fine with me. There's a few places I plan to go back to, where the farmer was vacillating. But I certainly don't want to be pushy. I look on it as I'm an ambassador for all of us, and I don't want to give any of us a bad name.

There is a landowner up here (big big landowner) who would throw his tenants off the farm if they let detectorists on the land, so hearing his name usually elicits a mutual chat about his strange ways.