Summertime

Rich

I've been detecting along time now and I'm still as eager as I was at the beginning although I don't want the 12 hour sessions anymore.
Years back the set aside used keep us going through summer but that's long gone.
I hate that felling of not being able to get out and I seriously think I get withdrawl.
I've got a brilliant job I travel the world and see some fantastic places,I've just come back from India, but still can't wait to hit the fields.
Deus anyone else think there addicted to metal detecting ?
It's only a hobby,enjoy it
stupot

I confess!!!!
:o
I deus too.....
Pete E

Rich wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:27 pm I've been detecting along time now and I'm still as eager as I was at the beginning although I don't want the 12 hour sessions anymore.
Years back the set aside used keep us going through summer but that's long gone.
I hate that felling of not being able to get out and I seriously think I get withdrawl.
I've got a brilliant job I travel the world and see some fantastic places,I've just come back from India, but still can't wait to hit the fields.
Deus anyone else think there addicted to metal detecting ?
I was only saying to my other half how addictive it is...I seem to go weeks sometimes without a decent find, get a bit despondent, and then out of nowhere something great turns up, I am all fired up and keen again...then the cycle repeats!
figgis

I found it so addictive I gave up flying as I didn't have time for both, and given that flying a plane was a lifelong ambition I think that speaks volumes :lol:

For various reasons I've not been out for a couple of months but it's always there at the back of the old bonce...
the-roman

I think the number of years a person has been detecting will tell you how addicted to it they are :D :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I get stroppy and bad tempered if I’ve not been out detecting for a few days. Well I say it is withdrawal symptoms but maybe it’s just the way I am :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Metalurgy

Summertime......
And the living is easy,fish are jumpin’ and the cotton is high......... :lol:
fred

the-roman wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:44 pm I think the number of years a person has been detecting will tell you how addicted to it they are :D :thumbsup:
Oh lord, 51 years of obsession then! :D
Hordfindend

Metalurgy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 pm Summertime......
And the living is easy,fish are jumpin’ and the cotton is high......... :lol:
Has the cotton been smoking wacky baccy?
Rich

I keep looking for a help on Google but farmers in Lincolnshire keeps going in the search bar
If the farmers could feel my pain I'd get permission on every farm
Easylife

I think I need to have a detecting fix at least every two weeks to prevent withdrawal symptoms. The current dry ground is rather limiting though I have another project to mainly focus on this summer to detract from detecting. But come winter! :Party:
I'm not into marathon detecting sessions, so when the fun stops I stop! I find that about 4 hours suffices unless I'm on a roll! :D
Good things come to those who wait.
Hordfindend

Easylife wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:18 pm I think I need to have a detecting fix at least every two weeks to prevent withdrawal symptoms. The current dry ground is rather limiting though I have another project to mainly focus on this summer to detract from detecting. But come winter! :Party:
I'm not into marathon detecting sessions, so when the fun stops I stop! I find that about 4 hours suffices unless I'm on a roll! :D
Once a week at least for me, even if it's half an hour.

I think you're right on the timing too- 4 or 5 hours is enough, or a 6/7 hour session with a proper hour lunch in the middle
Charles Abbeyville

Rich wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 pm I keep looking for a help on Google but farmers in Lincolnshire keeps going in the search bar
Wow, there's ambition. You will be very very lucky to get permission in Lincolnshire and I think Yorkshire and Norfolk will be the same. Walk toward a farmer's door near Lincoln City with a map in your hand and you will be lucky to get out alive, they must get asked almost daily. There are loads of great sites here but loads of farmers who always say "no" even though they know we detect the next farm to them.
We have one site we have been trying to get on for at least 25 years and we finally talked him round last year, that's how tough it is here. That's not to say it's impossible but this has and still is a busy detectorist county.
Hordfindend

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:45 am
Rich wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 pm I keep looking for a help on Google but farmers in Lincolnshire keeps going in the search bar
Wow, there's ambition. You will be very very lucky to get permission in Lincolnshire and I think Yorkshire and Norfolk will be the same. Walk toward a farmer's door near Lincoln City with a map in your hand and you will be lucky to get out alive, they must get asked almost daily. There are loads of great sites here but loads of farmers who always say "no" even though they know we detect the next farm to them.
We have one site we have been trying to get on for at least 25 years and we finally talked him round last year, that's how tough it is here. That's not to say it's impossible but this has and still is a busy detectorist county.
I'm in Yorkshire. I estimate my success rate when knocking on the door is about 1 sucess in every 10 attempts.

But if I go nearby to a permission and introduce myself with a 'reference' from a local farmer, it's almost always successful.

Usually the knockbacks are because they already have a detectorist/club, or the land is rented off a big estate (thanks Queen or Duchy of Lancaster!). It's very rare I get a flat 'no'.

I also leave a card, offering free recovery of lost items.

And, I made sure that the card has a little ruler on it, so it comes in handy- less likely to be thrown away!
Attachments
20220621_125622.jpg
Rich

I've got a couple if farms I've just acquired on the wolds but it is hard