Does anyone else share a permission?

Nobski

I have a local farm to me with 500 acres and share the permission with one other person.

At first I was not sure how it would work, but from day one, he showed me all his finds, areas which he had gridded and even told me hot spots on the map.

We have covered quite a bit of ground together shared many cups of tea, finds, stories and both have found two detectors are better than one.

Just wondering if other people share permission and how do you find it?
Nig the dig

yes I used to share a permission with a chap who was just getting into detecting. we Used to go to organized digs together then I got a permission close to where I live. he has since retired and moved to Scotland
Pete E

A couple of farms I am on have multiple people detecting as the farmers concerned seem very chilled about allowing people on their land to detect. I wish more farmers were like this to be honest...

I have chatted to a couple of guys on one permission, but don't see them very often.

On another bit of ground, when I realised somebody else had been given permission, i discussed what I know about the ground, where I have had my finds ect, but not really had any further interaction...

I think there is definitely a secretive streak to most detectorists, and often for good reason. My biggest concern is not that somebody else will make a significant find, but rather they will do something stupid and get us all kicked off...
clint

Sort of! One place I go has another person detecting who the farmer avoids like the plague as she's a right moidering old girl!
Steve RC

Something i avoid like Covid these days.

Too many problems with the activities of others in the past so any approaches from the desperate newbie with the usual plea " can i come detecting with you" gets a very brisk brushoff. However my landowners are happy with one person on the land as it is easier to manage.
romanrob

My largest permission of 3000+ acres has over the years had a few people granted permission by the landowners sons absolutely no problem exact one individual who has detected the same fields and sites as me and has never found a thing so of course has nothing to show the landowners but bearing in mind he’s only been doing it for 25 years so he bound to find something eventually maybe he hasn’t found the on off button on his NOX 800 yet. My other 2 permissions will only allow one person and luckily it’s me but it’s not stopped said person from trying to obtain an invite but what’s the point if he doesn’t find anything maybe one day he will or HAS already
HammeredDeus

romanrob wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 pm My largest permission of 3000+ acres has over the years had a few people granted permission by the landowners sons absolutely no problem exact one individual who has detected the same fields and sites as me and has never found a thing so of course has nothing to show the landowners but bearing in mind he’s only been doing it for 25 years so he bound to find something eventually maybe he hasn’t found the on off button on his NOX 800 yet. My other 2 permissions will only allow one person and luckily it’s me but it’s not stopped said person from trying to obtain an invite but what’s the point if he doesn’t find anything maybe one day he will or HAS already
Interesting...Do you think he really finds nothing, or just says that?
Oxgirl

I share two permissions, was 3. On the one (he’s now died) that is now just mine he (Pete) had his field and I didn’t encroach as I was happy on the others. It was an unspoken arrangement as he was there first so it felt right. He’d do the others sometimes but it worked for us both. Incidentally the field that was ‘his’ is now mine and I wish I’d known how good a field it was before :lol: I never told him how prolific one of the other fields was though and I’m not sure I’d have told him if he’d asked. To be truthful I wouldn’t :oops: We rarely met as he went during the week and I went at the weekend. Pete also was on another local permission we share with his detecting partner (who still detects there but I’ve never met him). He told me about few of his finds but not much info and on both permissions the land owner has never seen any of their finds!

I recently got a new permission from my main land owner who has just bought the land. It came with 2 existing detectorists but I’ve not met them yet. Not sure how that is going to work but hopefully it’ll be friendly! I’ll share info on the types of finds I’m getting on different fields but I wouldn’t expect them to tell me EXACTLY where the hotspots were nor would I expect to tell them the hotspots I’d found. The fields are big so sharing general info is fine.

One thing I know is I don’t like detecting at the same time on a shared permission. I can’t concentrate and feel unnerved. It makes me think I’m missing out on finds and I don’t enjoy it. I don’t want any detecting partner(s) though so luckily I can go during the week so, whilst I’d like to meet them, say hello and have a chat once or twice a year I won’t purposefully encroach on their time there as I have lots of other places I can go in blissful solitude instead. Interestingly I must say I don’t feel like that if a guest comes with me though as they are friends and I feel we are in it together so it is fun.

Everyone is different but thankfully I’ve not met a bad person on a shared permission yet. It’d be horrible if I did. The land owner on the new permission has told me if I have any problems though to tell him and he’ll kick them off. I love that land owner! I’d absolutely hate to do that so I wouldn’t but heck it’s nice to know I could :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
clint

I once dropped in on a farmer who knows my dad,thinking this should go well!
I only found the farmers son,who was also an old friend of the old man and was pleased to see me and asked about everyone! Great,this is going very well thinks I.
Now was my time to mention the detecting. He's a nice enough chap but doesn't get out much and a bit of a ditherer.
Well, he explains...they already have a chap detecting and he doesn't think he would like him allowing someone else on!!
I says fair enough and pointed out they're YOUR fields...he looked more hen pecked than every on my departure! Sort of reminded me of Frank Spencer in wellies and a boiler suit!
Some aren't worth the bother. Although the area looks like it has lots of potential.
romanrob

HammeredDeus wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 pm Interesting...Do you think he really finds nothing, or just says that?
Sorry HD it’s quite difficult to write with sarcasm but I have seen photos posted online and in magazines of finds he has made and spoken to “FRIENDS “ about finds made on the permission described
Littleboot

Nope. Done that. have the Tee shirt. (Faded at the back of the cupboard and due to be used as a duster.) I don't want another one.
All my permissions are mine alone. (Well Pete tags along but his attention-span and finds rate is negligible :lol: I more often than not catch him leaning on his spade, gazing at the view, dreaming of lunch.)
I find sharing permissions a pain. I remember the last time, many moons and a whole country ago. I was finding things. The other bloke (a policeman -cue alarm bells emoticon) never found anything. I remember telling the farmer: 'What is he detecting with? A magnet? ' All he ever declared was rusty iron.
So now I detect my permissions and it is simple. I know the full inventory.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Pete E

Funny when I think, but when I found out somebody I know as a "slight acquantce" had gained permission on a local farm, I offered to share what I knew, but he wasn't really interested.

Some of the fields are infested with green waste, and there have been two small landfill that produce endless amount of cans ect...

I tried to explain this, plus some of the history of the area I had discovered, but I suspect he thinks I might be trying to steer him away from the best areas..🙄

It's going to be very frustrating from him though as I was actually telling him the truth 🤣
HammeredDeus

romanrob wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:21 pm Sorry HD it’s quite difficult to write with sarcasm but I have seen photos posted online and in magazines of finds he has made and spoken to “FRIENDS “ about finds made on the permission described
Sorry - difficult to spot (for me anyway!) :thumbsup:

I think that sharing is definitely not something I'd want to do, for this and a load of other reasons. There's a big farm with some Civil War history nearby, and I'm on friendly terms with the old boy, but his son - who I don't know at all - makes all the decisions now. Dad 'gave' me permission, but son had already given it to someone else, who I happened to meet in another context, and who was actually quite friendly and offered to 'invite me along' to join in, but the offer never came to anything. I understand why and I don't want to try and 'barge in'. The 'not wanting to share' sort of works both ways, I think.
Littleboot

Pete E wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 pm Funny when I think, but when I found out somebody I know as a "slight acquantce" had gained permission on a local farm, I offered to share what I knew, but he wasn't really interested.

Some of the fields are infested with green waste, and there have been two small landfill that produce endless amount of cans ect...

I tried to explain this, plus some of the history of the area I had discovered, but I suspect he thinks I might be trying to steer him away from the best areas..🙄

It's going to be very frustrating from him though as I was actually telling him the truth 🤣
I've had a similar experience, Pete. I was brought up in a hamlet and knew everyone and simply roamed with my detector back in the 70' and 80's. With no authorization whatsoever, looking back. :lol: It was simply Jan doing her weird thing. The cottages were actually the estate cottages of a 'hall' which became defunct-like so many others- after the War. It was demolished and only the stable blocks and bell tower remained. Pockets of history remained. But after the war a gravel quarry was made in the woodland and lots of marl and sand was dumped on the land which had been used to filter and wash the gravel. Somewhere udner it all was the remains of a motte and bailey which disappeared off maps and was de-classified around the same time.
About 20 years ago i went back to visit. The stables had been converted into a swish home by the same family who'd owned them when I grew up. A guy had permission to detect and when we were introduced i mentioned I'd detected it years ago. I said I lived and detected elsewhere now, but he was still very defensive. Instead of listening to any info I had he just got rude. :lol: I told him he'd find nothing in the field in front of where the house had stood. He merely smirked and said he knew it was where the gardens and tennis courts etc had been. He'd studied the old estate map. And besides, if I (a mere woman is how it came over) had found nothing back then it was hardly surprising-machines were simply not good enough to do the job. I gave up. And watched him swishing his Deus over 6 feet of marl and sand.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Oxgirl

Littleboot wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:48 pm And besides, if I (a mere woman is how it came over) had found nothing back then it was hardly surprising-machines were simply not good enough to do the job. I gave up. And watched him swishing his Deus over 6 feet of marl and sand.
Ahhhh yes, the I’m a big boy expert with my grown up detector and you are just a little lady who is obviously swishing a toy/ prehistoric detector with no idea at all :lol: I’ve met a few of those!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking