Tumblers.

Pete E

Not sure how much media is needed in a tumbler, but you can get stainless steel shot blasting media for about £12 per pound on Amazon and that includes postage…
Hordfindend

Pete E wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:51 am Not sure how much media is needed in a tumbler, but you can get stainless steel shot blasting media for about £12 per pound on Amazon and that includes postage…
A teaspoon of two of grit in the water is enough for the cleaning of the copper alloy stuff.
fred

Hordfindend wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:06 pm A teaspoon of two of grit in the water is enough for the cleaning of the copper alloy stuff.
For spending money (always the same metal) I use a few glugs of cheap lemon juice plus a little water and about per load. Keep removing the clean coins about every 20 minutes and top it up with coins or lemon juice as required. :thumbsup:
Hordfindend

fred wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:14 pm For spending money (always the same metal) I use a few glugs of cheap lemon juice plus a little water and about per load. Keep removing the clean coins about every 20 minutes and top it up with coins or lemon juice as required. :thumbsup:
That's a great tip. Fanks Thred!
Easylife

Well my tumbler arrived on time. The 3kg version has about a 1 litre capacity and came with about 400g of what looks like stainless steel shot. It looks well made and works a treat with it's auto bidirectional function. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
Saffron

Here is the link to the one I use viewtopic.php?p=20446&

It does a good job and seems very robust, although I do not use it to the extent that Fred or Stu would.

Like others have said I use small steel ballbearings in it, and change water about every 15-20 minutes until happy with the results.

Evan
HammeredDeus

Mine has arrived - just the same as Saffron has linked to. Haven't tried it for real yet, but first impressions are positive on build quality and value for money. Speeds above 3 (on the scale of 1 through 5) are probably too fast - a hamster would have a very tough time keeping up, even at speed 1 !

Hoping to get some time later for a tryout...
Pete E

HammeredDeus wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:15 pm Mine has arrived - just the same as Saffron has linked to. Haven't tried it for real yet, but first impressions are positive on build quality and value for money. Speeds above 3 (on the scale of 1 through 5) are probably too fast - a hamster would have a very tough time keeping up, even at speed 1 !

Hoping to get some time later for a tryout...
If you check the small print, they recommend you use gravel or stainless steel shot, not hamsters! Just saying.....
Easylife

I used it about half filled with water with no problem. But I did find that if you only use a small amount of water then there is not enough pressure on the drive roller. I have only used it on speed 1 so far. Now adding some lemon juice to the brew. :D
Oxgirl

Get some stainless steel shot with water alone, it polishes up silver beautifully so it should work great on copper coins!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HammeredDeus

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:06 pm Get some stainless steel shot with water alone, it polishes up silver beautifully so it should work great on copper coins!
I watched a jewellery lady on Youtube putting some silver in her tumbler with small shot. She said that one of the benefits is that the thousands of tiny impacts work-harden the metal (I guess mostly at/near the surface) - so, for example, a silver wire earring stem that would bend when freshly annealed will get a bit of springiness in it when tumbled.

I'm not sure I want to work-harden anything, but at the same time I don't plan on putting anything even slightly precious in my machine! My first try, any minute now, is going to be with sharp sand.
Easylife

HammeredDeus wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:23 pm My first try, any minute now, is going to be with sharp sand.
How did it turn out? My steel shot has turned coppery! :Thinking:
HammeredDeus

My first go was with a tablespoonful of sharp sand, a suggestion of fairy liquid and as much water as could put in. I ran it on slowest speed for 25 mins:

These very ropey coins from the beach:
Before.jpg
Became slightly less ropey.
After.jpg
Please note, no hamsters were harmed in the above experiment. :angel:

I'm now trying a couple of old pennies with the steel shot and a soupcon of citric acid, per Fred's suggestion.

I have found in the past that soaking coins in citric acid moves a few atoms of copper from the "coppers" to the (cupro-nickel)"silvers" so the 5p/10p/50p coins go a delicate salmon pink [using different, separate pots for each solves the problem]. I wonder if you've copper-coated your shot?
HammeredDeus

My second batch - using the steel shot, lemon juice and fairy liquid - is coming out nicely. My shot hasn't changed colour. I think this is the method I'm going to carry on with.
Metalurgy

I’m still not sure if a tumbler is relevant for me as I tend to take my dirty change to my local cooperative which is then invested in lottery tickets.
Of course I’ve never won anything but some of it goes to good causes,they accept the grubby coins,I explain it’s been dug up and voila!
Of course still interested to learn the benefits but not sure it’s for me?
Last edited by Metalurgy on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.